Gilbert

Help me choose a first sewing machine

Hi all, 

I am looking for my first sewing machine and I usually do small goods work like laptop sleeves, wallets, small bags. 

Here are requirement that I have in my mind with short knowledge

- It should accommodate relatively thick thread. I work with 0.6mm ritza tiger thread and Tandy leather's waxed thread

- Should be able to 2-3 layers of 8/9 oz leather. 

- Stitching should look good (or consistent) on front and back side. 

- Should be slow enough

- Budget is around $1,000

Currently, I have been thinking Tippmann boss manual machine, but I heard stitching on the back side looks not great. 

Please recommend one. Please allow me to borrow you guys expertise. Thank a lot in advance. 

Edited by Gilbert

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Hi all, 

I am looking for my first sewing machine and I usually do small goods work like laptop sleeves, wallets, small bags. 

Here are requirement that I have in my mind with short knowledge

- It should accommodate relatively thick thread. I work with 0.6mm ritza tiger thread and Tandy leather's waxed thread

- Should be able to 2-3 layers of 8/9 oz leather. 

- Stitching should look good (or consistent) on front and back side. 

- Should be slow enough

- Budget is around $1,000

Currently, I have been thinking Tippmann boss manual machine, but I heard stitching on the back side looks not great. 

Please recommend one. Please allow me to borrow you guys expertise. Thank a lot in advance. 

First off, have you done your research?  There is lots of good advice available here in figuring out what you need for a sewing machine.  Look for pinned threads in the sewing machine forum.

Tom

Have a look at this post -

The Consew P1206 mentioned might be worth considering BUT if you want to use heavy thread you will need to go to a much bigger machine. You won't be able to use anything like the Ritza or Tandy thread in such a machine.

As northmount said, there is lots of good advice already posted, with many asking similar questions to you.

I will address your thread requirement. You say you are used to hand sewing with .6mm thread. Here is the closest equivalent in bonded sewing machine thread:

Thread size: 277 (T270)

Breaking strength: 45 lbs

Diameter: .0231" (.586mm)

#25 needle

The next size up is 346, having these specs:

346 (T350)

5 Cord

53 lbs breaking

.0258" (.655mm)

#26 needle

These are some of the heavier thread sizes used by the biggest heavy leather harness stitchers, like the Cowboy CB3200, 3500 and 4500, and equivalent Cobra and Techsew harness stitchers. There are no normal upholstery grade industrial sewing machines that can tension and pull up #277 or #346 thread. There is one class of bottom feed only heavy leather stitchers that can handle these threads, but they leave deep tooth marks on the bottom.

The reason these machines can handle and tension the heavier thread is due to their having huge beefed up moving parts and substantial bearings and steel shafts. They have no trouble sewing together 18 and more ounces of hard temper leather with #277 or 346 thread (about .6mm). The bottom appearance is different than on top. That is just how it is. If you want the bottom to virtually match the top, buy a Campbell Randall or Union Lockstitch machine. They use a needle and awl in combination with a jump foot and either needle or awl feed.