Ogoki

Consew and Mitsubishi Twin-Needle machines

Hello all,

I am looking at picking up a twin-needle flat bed, a see a couple for sale locally.  One is a Consew STW-8M.  The casting looks very much like my Seiko twin-needle post-bed, and the model number seems like a Seiko number, so I am thinking maybe it was made by Seiko.  Is this a walking foot machine?  And are gauge sets available for it?  The other is a Mitsubishi DN-260.  I gather from another post on here that it is a compound-feed machine.  I am also curious about gauge sets for this one.

Thanks for any info.

Consew STW-8M.jpg

Mitsubishi.jpg

Most likely they are needle feed machines (not walking foot). A picture for the back side could tell. Or a picture form the left side - it you see 3 bars (needle bar and 2 presser foot bar) they are waling foot if you see 2 bars (needle bar and 1 presser foot bar) they are needle feed. Keep in mind that they have fixed distance needles. When you want to alter the needle distance you need a complete gauge set which contains needle holder, needle plate and feed dog. Fortunately both machines are based on the Singer 112 and 212 model so you can use Singer gauge sets. BUT there are 2 different styles of needle holder available - one screw in type and and one  push in tye. After market gauge sets are avail. on Ebay for approx. $20 and up. You also have to reposition the 2 hook saddles when you want to change the needle distance.

The closer I look... I´m sure they are needle feed machines.

OK, so gauge sets are available for either.  Here is shot of the Seiko presser foot.  The foot looks like the walking foot gauge sets I see on ebay.

Seiko Presser Foot.jpg

You are right - picture was not very clear! However - I´m not sure about the availability of the walking foot / triple feed gauge sets. I talked about needle feed gauge sets. But I´m sure some of the known sewing machine dealer like Toledos Sewing Machines or Keysew can help you with gauge sets - just check with them.

Nice

That mitsubishi looks like a singer 212, plain needle feed but really I cannot see it that well. Your other pick the consew sure looks to have a walker setup, though you may have to do creative back stitch, as it doesn't look to have reverse.  In either choice one of the dealers here as mentioned can sure find the needle gauge for you.

good day there

Floyd

The lack of reverse isn't a big deal...

Is it possible to fit a non-walking foot to the walking-foot machine, out of curiosity?

5 hours ago, Ogoki said:

The lack of reverse isn't a big deal...

Is it possible to fit a non-walking foot to the walking-foot machine, out of curiosity?

It is actually possible on the 153, but it requires several additional parts that would make it cost prohibitive. It also requires removing the top shaft.

Regards, Eric 

Mitsubishi is a needle feed, the Consew is a walking foot.

Gauge sets are very easy to get for both and common, and not too crazy expensive.  

So, I ended up getting the "Mitsubishi" compound feed machine.  I am about to order gauge sets, but I could also use a take-up spring and beehive tension-disc springs.

I only see take-up springs for the Singer 112 on ebay.  Will they work?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-take-up-check-spring-HEAVY-221175-for-Singer-111w-112W-211u-Consew-225-226/261685705754?hash=item3cedaefc1a:m:mjecIiumG8-X_AaRhoRA0QA

Is there a readily available tension disc spring for a similar machine that would be stiffer (even just some common Singer industrial model, e.g. 31K)?  The ones on this Mitsubishi are squished pretty flat with the #6 cotton thread that I am using...

Thanks again.

Edited by Ogoki

I'd recommend taking time to read the manual for the machine and checking the specs. Trying to make the machine do things it wasn't designed for isn't a path to a happy place. Installing stronger springs doesn't make the machine more capable.

I have done so, but I generally consider the manual and its specs to be a starting point.  It recommends #14 or #16 needles, but an experienced member on the site has said #18 or #20 needles are fine.  My twin-needle post-bed Seiko is a very similar machine, but I notice that its tension disc springs are stiffer.  I don’t see why running similar springs wouldn’t help this machine - or at least they would help me in the way of piece of mind!

BTW - The Mitsubishi seems to have a Pfaff tension unit. Check springs and tension discs are a bit different compared with Singer 211 / 212 tension units. Singer springs may work but the Pfaff springs are longer and have a raised tip (at least the ones I have seen)

Edited by Constabulary

Good eye, Constabulary!  Beehive springs seem to be readily available (91-010 183-05), but the check spring (91-010 179-05) does not...