cceast1

Will a Consew 206rb-2 work?

Hello I have been wanting a sewing machine for sometime an about pulled the trigger on a cowboy 32 but cost is an issue at this time. I found a listing for a Consew 206rb-2 and have been told by seller it will work for what I need. What I want it for is making leather holsters and belts so about 2 layers of 7/8 oz leather will this work for my needs? Here is the discription of the listing.. will it be able to handle like 207 thread? 

Consew 206RB walking foot industrial sewing machine. Made in Japan to sew all types of upholstery, leather, canvas, webbing, vinyl, cork, rubber, tarpaulin and other heavy materials. This model features a large "M" size side load bobbin, compound feed walking foot, reverse feed and safety clutch. Comes with table, motor, knee lift, thread stand, bobbin winder, extra needles, extra bobbins, copy of book, welt foot and zipper foot.
The Machine has been freshly and fully serviced. See sewn samples of foam backed marine vinyl stitching from 2 to 4 to 8 layers with ease. Machine runs very smooth and stitches a perfectly balanced seam.

Nope for holsters in “my” opinion.

A quick read above in the stickies/ permanent post regards to leather machines is a enjoyable read. With several of the above informative and good for a re-visit i found.

good day

Floyd

it is a good walking foot machine for light weight leather, you will never be able to do the 8/9 ounce leather needed for a good holster, and thicker for a good gun belt.  I had the same thought and bought an older model only to find it wouldn't do the job.  It will work very well for wallets and other thin items, but to do the holsters and belts you will need a cowboy or Cobra class 3 or 4 to do the real heavy stuff.  You find that everyone has their favorite when it comes to either the cowboy or the cobra, but keep in mind that they Most likely come of the same Chinese production line with different colors on them.

This machine is likely to be limited to #138 thread maximum, with a lift around  3/8", so no holsters. A nice machine and will handle dress belts and probably gunbelts as long as you don't want heavy ones. Unfortunately, as OLDNSLOW  said, to make holsters you have to jump to the next class of machine.

The seller is wrong in saying it will do what you want.

I own a consew 206 rb,  and it is a great machine that will sew up to 3/8" thick leather with up to #138 thread, which really is too small for holsters. Most holster folks use 277 thread. The consew will sew the hell out of belts and two layers of 7/8 ounce leather( I do it all the time), but it's not a holster machine.