SheltathaLore

Clone family tree

I'm still doing research on possible machines that might work for me, and it seems like the affordable options are almost always clones.  It would satisfy my curiosity - and probably preempt a lot of questions along the lines of "has anyone heard of X machine" or "I can't find a manual for my clone" - if anyone with better knowledge could give a quick outline of the capabilities of the original models that most of the clones are based on, and maybe a list of known clones (although, of course, rebranding means that you can't catch them all).

Anyone up for the challenge?

Edited by SheltathaLore
grammatical correctness...

The short answer is a general "no", I'm afraid.

Here's a thread that talks about just that:

1 hour ago, SheltathaLore said:

I'm still doing research on possible machines that might work for me, and it seems like the affordable options are almost always clones.  It would satisfy my curiosity - and probably preempt a lot of questions along the lines of "has anyone heard of X machine" or "I can't find a manual for my clone" - if anyone with better knowledge could give a quick outline of the capabilities of the original models that most of the clones are based on, and maybe a list of known clones (although, of course, rebranding means that you can't catch them all).

Anyone up for the challenge?

While I'm not interested is pursuing a name that clone / whack a mole games, I can save you and others watching this topic a lot of time by simply cutting to the chase. When one has decided to invest in a new sewing machine that meets their needs, one should buy a brand that is well supported by a known dealer (or network of dealers) that is in the same Country as the buyer. That dealer should be known for offering timely replies to technical and operational questions from their buyers. They should stock replacement parts for the machines they sell and have accessories that are commonly available for that machine. The dealer should be familiar with the capabilities of each model machine that they carry from any given manufacturer.

After years of experimentation, our collective membership has helped to narrow down the number of brand names and dealers  to the few who are proven to be reliable. Our combined experience has eliminated a plethora of strange brand names, including some house brands belonging to eBay dealers. We have learned which brands are made in top tier factories and which are from bottom of the barrel companies that are here today and gone tomorrow.

The last thing a new inexperienced sewer needs is to become their own dealer by purchasing a sewing machine directly from China. The importer becomes the dealer and assumes all responsibility for parts, adjustments and repairs. Broken machines would have to be shipped back to the manufacturer in China, at the dealer's expense.

No-name machines don't usually have any real support network. They are found on eBay and in small dealerships that slap their own badge on a Chinese machine.

As for trusted brands, look at the ads on the top of our pages. Also, note the names of the dealers who reply to questions in our forums. A few of them are also on eBay, but are well known for offering valuable information here.

And that's only one of the reasons for him being a Wiz.

Does it have to be new and how much technical work is available or time to adjust.  And everyones reality question whats the budget.

Floyd 

ps: im not sure but have a good idea your making leather products up to 1/4 thick ?

I see what your getting at, but "most" (see I said most for all you German machine heads) of the technology going on here was invented 100-150 years ago and then dominated by Singer.  So unraveling the clone family tree really isn't useful since I doubt you want the original machine most of these new machines are based on.  Also I suspect you want reverse on your new machine?  So when we toss-around clone for leather machines it typically refers to the Juki 441 machine ( Cowboy CB4500) (Cobra P-4) that most of us will recommend (I got min CB4500 a few months ago and love it BTW).

However the pro\cons of antique or vintage machines over new, that is always a good topic.  If you want to sew a product that your going to sell, I suspect you will want a good running machine with reverse, that will be working in production.  If you want to do this as a hobby then you could get a used antique machine, but the sewing machine restoration learning curve will consume your time (maybe all your time) to get the machine back to 100%.  So if it is sewing you want to do, save up for a good new machine.  If it is antique restoration dive right in, it will only cost you time and less money to start but you wont do much sewing at first. 

Hope that helps.

Welp, I ended up springing for a Consew 227 from Gregg at Keystone, who has been awesome.  I am pretty psyched and I can't wait until it gets here! :D

Thank you guys for all your tips!  And for pointing me at the dealers who know how to set up leather machines; I'm confident that mine will be good to go as soon as I get it unloaded. Time to make more shoes!  My next ones are gonna be *so fabulous*.  (It's kind of hilarious how my social life has taken off since I took the shoemaking class.  Everyone I know wants to make shoes with me now.)