Mujician

Acrylic paints. When?

Hi - I'm getting into leather making and finding out how to do bits and pieces as I go along. I'd like to make some bookmarks with acrylic paint over the dye. I'm not sure which order I need to do things? Dye first obviously, but do I then put resolene over the dye and then acrylic, or do I dye, then acrylic, then resolene?

Many thanks

Resoline is your Top coat. Make sure the paint is VERY dry or the Resoline can make it run. If you have access to an airbrush or preval sprayer works nice for applying multiple light coats.

Thanks, that what I thought, but I wanted to check. Thanks for your advice.

Mattsbagger is right in my experience.  But if there IS some over-riding reason to put paint atop resolene, it works fine.  

Bill

after the acrylic paint is completely dry ,I like to use a small amount of Tandys Gel antiques before I seal coat, it really makes the details pop. the only paint color I have had a problem with is white. If I seal the white with Super Shene first it works fine.

Brown Trout.JPG

Edited by buzzardbait

Oh cool - so does the acrylic act like a resist layer so that the antique doesn't stick to it? It only goes in the tooling?

Resoline is acrylic based too. Idk why I never thought of acrylic paint as a resist until now haha. 

I've heard people using resolene for a resist in places. And it says right on the bottle "ACRYLIC" resolene hahaha. Guess I'm just a bit slow on the uptake aren't I haha.

7 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Resoline is acrylic based too. Idk why I never thought of acrylic paint as a resist until now haha. 

I've heard people using resolene for a resist in places. And it says right on the bottle "ACRYLIC" resolene hahaha. Guess I'm just a bit slow on the uptake aren't I haha.

That's why some people use M&G too. Lol I've never understood why The people at Tandy tell me not to mix Water based and Fiebings pro dye. I asked isn't Resoline water based? They said ya but that's ok.

Lol, I haven't tried mop n glo yet but people swear by it. I'll give it a try one day. I have used resolene over feibings before. It worked well enough lol

I've just ordered some glow in the dark acrylic - not a clue what I'll use it on, but it'll be awesome!