GaryNunn

Looking for Tandy leather with "tactical" finish on one side.

I've been buying hides from my local Tandy, they were 8 oz, black, and had what they were calling a "tactical finish" on one side because of the texture. The finished side almost felt like a plastic coating. It's black, or more accurately gray on the inside.

I can't really get a picture of the texture other than what's below.  Tandy just recently stopped selling it. It was never in the catalog or website.

I've seen a couple of sellers on Ebay with the same type of texture, but neither one woudl tell me where they were buying the leather.

I have a Tandy stock number (9052-24), but nothing come up when searching for that in Google.

Any suggestions on where I might find more woudl be appreciated.

xxSIG-P220-Front-2.JPG

Gary, . . . I'm thinking you could come awful close to duplicating that in veggie tan, . . . if you took one of those 3 or 4 inch paint rollers, . . . and stuck a sandpaper roller on the outside of it, . . . got your leather all cased up real good, . . . rolled her back and forth a couple times. 

I'd think it should come out fairly close.

Only thing I can think of at the moment if you can't find the original.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

That looks like a pigmented leather with a "haircell" print.  Its done with a large press and plate with that pattern, normally done at the tannery.  Our black Hermann Oak strap leather has a haircell texture that would look pretty close to that.  The color is also struck through.  A lot of holster makers use that leather, we have 6/7 and 7/8oz.  Weaver item # is 03-430S-6/7 or 03-430S-7/8 depending on the weight you want.  

contact individual Tandy stores with that stock number. If the store had it on hand when it was discontinued chances are they still have it. My local Tandy store has searched other store inventories for me several times and found discontinued items. I have always gotten these at discounted prices because they want to clear them from inventory