SouthernCross

Who's making quality mauls these days?

I'm looking for an approx. 20-24 oz. tapered maul for mostly basket/geometric stamping.

Who are some of the currently available go-to vendors? 

There are several good makers, of which a few are regular forum members. 

It shouldn't be too difficult to find those people, within these pages.

Ah,  you can also buy mauls from Tandy, or from numerous other vendors of leather working mauls.

Chas 

I would personally PM a forum moderator, as they are pretty smart about the popular members here. 

Do you already know, how heavy of a maul, you desire? 

There are a few other variables, to consider like balance, when on a quest for leather working maul.

Yes, you can always shop by eye online, and pick out something that appeals to you visually. Or possibly try different weights and find one that not only fits your hand well, but also has a comfortable weight, allowing several hours of carving/tooling, per session.

Chas

You can't go wrong with Barry King mauls.   Look for his ad at the top of the page here.

Tandy has a black friday special the 24th and 25th, three for 129.99.  They're the craftool pro ones, a 2lb round, a 2lb tapered, and a 1lb flat mallet. 12 per store limit one set per customer. Retail on these is $439.99.

Thinking I'll drive up to Cheyenne and pick up a set.

42 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

I would personally PM a forum moderator, as they are pretty smart about the popular members here. 

Do you already know, how heavy of a maul, you desire? 

There are a few other variables, to consider like balance, when on a quest for leather working maul.

Yes, you can always shop by eye online, and pick out something that appeals to you visually. Or possibly try different weights and find one that not only fits your hand well, but also has a comfortable weight, allowing several hours of carving/tooling, per session.

Chas

Yes, 20-24 oz., as specified in my original post.  Ar least, that's what I think I want, as 80% of my tooling is stamping basketweave and geometrics.

The one I have for designated leather work, is the Tandy Leather tapered maul.

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/craftool-pro-round-head-poly-maul

I don't understand the high prices of these mauls at Tandy... So I recently bought a Gold membership.

My other maul was turned on a lathe and pieced together. 

Pic below is the Tandy model. Weight is 2lbs. Or 32oz. 

Chas

image.jpeg

Edited by ChasCS

Someone just this week told me that if you were a military veteran that you get Elite pricing at Tandy.   And why the hell didn't they tell me that 10 yrs ago when I first got started!?

Because they just started the scheme a few weeks ago thats why

5 minutes ago, fredk said:

Because they just started the scheme a few weeks ago thats why

OK - fair enough.  At least they're on the right side of the fence. 

1 hour ago, SouthernCross said:

Someone just this week told me that if you were a military veteran that you get Elite pricing at Tandy.   And why the hell didn't they tell me that 10 yrs ago when I first got started!?

It wasn't available a decade ago. Yes, First responders, police and military personnel have this great Tandy price discount advantage. It's a relatively new program. 

If you are a veteran, you are in luck, good news for you bro.  ;-)

So taking part in the black Friday sale, acquiring all three, two mauls and a poly mallet, in one shot, is a grand gesture.

If that's your choice... 

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

17 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

It wasn't available a decade ago. Yes, First responders, police and military personnel have this great Tandy price discount advantage. It's a relatively new program. 

If you are a veteran, you are in luck, good news for you bro.  ;-)

So taking part in the black Friday sale, acquiring all three, two mauls and a poly mallet, in one shot, is a grand gesture.

If that's your choice... 

Chas

I may just do that then.

8 minutes ago, SouthernCross said:

I may just do that then.

Yes, for the price of one at discount cost, you get all three. I wish this deal was in the cards for me.

Ah, but I am already very well Hammered. Haha

My only concern for you, is the actual weight of these Tandy heavy hitters.

Chas

2 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

Chas, what weight do you prefer for stamping? 

Personally, I like a heavier mallet or maul. So the 2lb is comfortable for me. You get used to it...

But I frequently use saddle skirting guaged leather, for my projects, so a maul of heavier weight leaves a nice deep impression.

If doing fine figure carving, with smaller tools, then I can go to one of my lighter mallets. 

Chas

46 minutes ago, SouthernCross said:

Why is the weight a concern? 

Only because that flat side maul is 1lb, but both circular mauls are 2lbs. 

One is below your weight preference, and two are slightly heavier...

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

On November 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM, SouthernCross said:

Why is the weight a concern? 

SouthernCross, 

Hey there, did you happen to partake in the Tandy Leather Black Friday sale?

I just wondered what your thoughts were, if you bought those three, as far as weight and comfort. 

That was a great deal.

Chas

4 hours ago, ChasCS said:

SouthernCross, 

Hey there, did you happen to partake in the Tandy Leather Black Friday sale?

I just wondered what your thoughts were, if you bought those three, as far as weight and comfort. 

That was a great deal.

Chas

Chas, I did not.  I went in the store a few days in advance of the sale and took a look at them.  I felt like I needed something heavier than the lighter ones, and lighter than the heavier one.  If the mallet had been 2 lb. instead of 1 lb., I probably would have gotten the set.  I need about an 18-20 oz. maul, and about a 2.5-3 lb. mallet.

I think I'm going to try this mallet: https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Good-WD205-Mallet-18-Ounce/dp/B002LVUWQ8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2CSNCNLTAMBM8&colid=E7DIP6F40EDP

Edited by SouthernCross

Oh, ok, that looks like it will leave an impression. Haha

I'm not sure about quality or usefulness, but it appears well made. 

Please report back, how you like it, if you buy one. Thanks

Chas

Barry King makes a great tool but if cost is a concern then go to E-bay or Amazon and you will find some less expensive one.  Its kind of like some of the tools you can get from Tandy versus a Barry King or other custom tool makers, once you use the quality make tools it is hard to go back to lesser quality stuff.

2 hours ago, ChasCS said:

Oh, ok, that looks like it will leave an impression. Haha

I'm not sure about quality or usefulness, but it appears well made. 

Please report back, how you like it, if you buy one. Thanks

Chas

Does it not look like it will be suitable? 

1 hour ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Barry King makes a great tool but if cost is a concern then go to E-bay or Amazon and you will find some less expensive one.  Its kind of like some of the tools you can get from Tandy versus a Barry King or other custom tool makers, once you use the quality make tools it is hard to go back to lesser quality stuff.

Yes, I certainly understand that, having recently received some of Barry's stamps. I'll never, ever purchase any more Tandy stamps.

It's difficult to judge something by a photo alone. If you buy it, and like it, that's all that matters. 

Looking at the prices of Barry King mauls though, they are actually quite moderate. 

http://barrykingtools.com/roundmauls.htm

I like, that he prices them, through their weight. 

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

I recently made this PVC Pipe Leather Maul.  Here's how.

I  used hard maple turned it to a perfect cylinder with a slight waste wood taper on the working end and a shoulder the thickness of the PVC pipe. Flatten and fine tune its diameter with fine sandpaper and a hard sanding block using the wood lathe. Check the diameter as you go using cheap digital calipers in several places  Do not make it too loose. If it slips on by hand you have made it too small. Make sure its a snug fit. But not so tight it damages the PVC. The Two part epoxy used will act as a temporary lubricant work fast. Use a mallet larger than the handle diameter and a hard flat surface to contact the PVC pipe then drive the wood into the pipe. Now let the epoxy harden and cure. Place the whole mallet back in the lathe and trim both the wood and PVC pipe even.  The PVC maul was tool light all alone so I pounded a lead bar round on my anvil. Next I drove the lead through a 1 1/4 hole in hardwood to shape it. Finally I drilled a 1 1/4" hole into the maul then drove the lead into the mallet. Yes the lead hit bottom out and mushroomed a little. No big deal.  This is a nice diameter and weight. This PVC plastic is in my opinion very tough 280 psi and currently is not leaving dandruff and it has not cracked or split. I have not noticed indentations so far in the surface of the PVC maul.  No its not the celebrity brand name with an exotic wood handle and metal turned in a metal lathe.  The stamps and tooling leather frankly don't care who made it or what brand it is. Keep in mind not all plastics are the same and the picky stamps do not tolerate every type of plastic. Some black plastics dent easily and others will either chip or flake or split. I don't know how long mine will last but its dirt cheap and it works good enough for me as of now.  Buyer beware I purchased a name brand stamp set and a magnet will not even stick to them. Yes you guessed it the basket weave stamp broke. Cash in the trash.  While I can still edit. The overall length is 8" and the PVC pipe length trimmed in the lathe glued to the wood is 3 1/4"  Nothing magical about these measurements. The diameter doesn't block my view like a larger diameter wood maul with similar weight. This is my first functional PVC proto type leather maul. A harder denser wood and a little more length may increase the weight a little. The lead really added weight fast and cheap. The outer PVC diameter is approximately 2 3/8"   Also friends or handymen even stores may simply give you the cut off plastic pipe scraps too short to use for plumbing. My final closing thought about brand name mauls.  Are they throw away? Do they last forever? Are they even warranted?  I have never seen a replacement striking sleeve for the super expensive fancy machined metals turned on a metal lathe. If your leather craft projects sell for big money and allow for cash in the trash that your choice and fine by me. I can barely afford to purchase stamps and leather. Have fun everyone.

P1000916.JPG

P1000917.JPG

P1000914.JPG

P1000912.JPG

P1000918.JPG

Edited by ContactCement