jalvarez11

Assembling Baseball gloves

Hi everyone, 

First time poster and complete noob when it comes to leather working. I’m a long time baseball lover and played through high school, but i just recently completely deconstructed a baseball glove for the first time and I was struck by how relatively simple they are. So I decided to tackle the project of making one myself and it if it goes well, maybe turn it into at worst a regular hobby and at best a side job for extra cash. 

Now that i’ve bored you I’ll ask my actual question. I’m looking for a sewing machine that will handle sewing the 4-5oz pieces of leather together with welting. Since this is my first attempt I’m not looking to break the bank on a machine, I’m looking to get a machine that will just get it done. If after I make this first one I decide I want to do this regularly I’ll look into dropping some dough on a machine. 

Part B of this question. I have access to a laser. Would it be worth any effort at all to laser cut stitching holes and then hand stitching the gloves and just skip the sewing machine? Even so, I’d love to hear some machine recommendations for a starter like myself. 

Looking forward to learning from you guys. 

Justin

Is there some sort of trick to getting people to respond instead of just getting views?

I suspect that the lack of replies is down to that not many people here make or repair baseball gloves, and they may not have seen your post..anyone else advising on a machine or machines would be talking out of their field.
Two..re making stitching holes with a laser ..given the fact that you'd be trying to laser through more than one layer at once, the problem of keeping everything ( the layers ) aligned would probably mean that using a laser to make stitching holes would not be a good idea..

Making your own baseball glove --- now that's an  unusual project!
I know nothing about them, so unfortunately I can't contribute anything to the conversation. 
It would certainly be interesting to see, though! Imagine the custom leather, the tooling, and so on. It would be quite the showpiece.

Check out the sewing machine vendor's ads in the top banner.  Pick a vendor close to you so you can go see and test the machines on the leather you will be using.  They have new and some reconditioned machines.  Techsew 2700, Cowboy 227R, etc.  You need at least 3/8" capacity, and 138 or heavier thread.  Should be a walking foot machine.  Domestic machines will not work long for you or do a very good job.  Read the pinned posts about picking the right machine.

Tom

Thanks for the advice everyone! Much appreciated.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, jalvarez11 said:

Part B of this question. I have access to a laser. Would it be worth any effort at all to laser cut stitching holes and then hand stitching the gloves and just skip the sewing machine?  

Justin

Honestly for hand stitching I can say that using a laser is Awsome! and illogical. Reminds me of Austin Powers with the, shark with a frickin laser beam. Overkill.  Although when I bought my granite slab from the local counter top business. They had just bought a new laser. The guy cutting was laser etching his own business cards onto leather.