howlback

Union vs. Cylinder Arm?

Wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ to go with a Union Lockstitch. There's one for 3,200 from the 80's floating around Craigslist here. Wondering if they'd take a little less since it's been for sale awhile. My main question is, having no experience with sewing machines, is this something I could potentially learn how to upkeep. The guy selling it doesn't seem to know much about them and I don't know any techs in the Los Angeles area. I like the idea of being able to stitch with thick waxed thread. I'd figured I'd have to sacrifice it when searching for a sewing machine until I stumbled upon the Union. I'm making 5-6+ oz. veg tan handbags, 8-9 oz. guitar straps, as well as small items (coasters, keyfobs, barrettes). This machine seems like it might be a overkill but something my company could really grow into. Any advice would be appreciated. Even if it's in favor of a different machine.

That Union is a very nice machine.  I'm not sure I would recommend that for your first machine.  Plus if you have that kind of money to spend get the Cobra C4 or the Cowboy CB-4500 AKA juki 441 clone machine, that would be a better first machine for less money and it would be brand new..  The 441 clone can sew with heavy thread, 346, 415,  plus if you really want to use wax thread you can add the wax pot.  You will be able to get more project around the arm of the 441, and have a longer throat area to work with. 

I would definitely NOT recommend a Union Lockstitch as a first sewing machine, unless the seller (or somebody else nearby who owns one) is able to give you some instructions on its use. In this case, it appears they cannot do that. Proceed at your own risk.

Add to the above comments (which I agree with) that the value of the Union Locks has dropped considerably in the last 5-10 years.  Have seen  quite a few sell in the $1500 range, some for less.

I looked at the Union Lockstitch machine in the CL ad and it is immaculate compared to most I've seen or owned. I saw a manual/parts list and a threading rod. The seller didn't show any other accessories, like bobbins, needles, awls, or the proprietary adjustment tools. If missing, they could be purchased from Campbell Randall, in Texas. They now own the Union Lockstitch brand and all parts.

16 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I would definitely NOT recommend a Union Lockstitch as a first sewing machine, unless the seller (or somebody else nearby who owns one) is able to give you some instructions on its use. In this case, it appears they cannot do that. Proceed at your own risk.

11 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I looked at the Union Lockstitch machine in the CL ad and it is immaculate compared to most I've seen or owned. I saw a manual/parts list and a threading rod. The seller didn't show any other accessories, like bobbins, needles, awls, or the proprietary adjustment tools. If missing, they could be purchased from Campbell Randall, in Texas. They now own the Union Lockstitch brand and all parts.

It's Los Angeles, I'm sure I can find somebody here. It did look in great condition being from the 80s. I'll let you know if I find someone to help me out.

This machine is good for heavier leather, 10 oz. plus.  But is hard to adjust for lighter leather, and requires more attention to use. (Second above comments).  Leather Machine makes a good machine for less money and is easier to use.  There was a Cobra for sale in San Pedro a while back, check used machines on this site for information.

Ron

17 minutes ago, Goldshot Ron said:

This machine is good for heavier leather, 10 oz. plus.  But is hard to adjust for lighter leather, and requires more attention to use. (Second above comments).  Leather Machine makes a good machine for less money and is easier to use.  There was a Cobra for sale in San Pedro a while back, check used machines on this site for information.

Ron

He sold it. Unfortunately.