Well...just thought I'd share.

This is the first pancake I've made...designed the pattern myself :) That's about all I'm happy with... I was thinking I should trim the end up nice and close to the end of the barrel, any thoughts on that?

The stitches are terrible and 'puckery', stitch lines are a bit 'wobbly'...okay, a lot. I guess I'm happy with the tattoo work, turned out better than I thought, and the forming isn't terrible. There's no way I can deliver this, so someone's Christmas gift is probably going to be a little late...

Anyways, as I said just wanted to share...as always, pointers are always welcome!

sheild9pancake_Danielle.jpg

Edited by mikesherman

For a first attempt it came out great. The wet forming is really good.

First off don’t be so hard on yourself.  I would be willing to bet most people in your town wouldn’t be able to produce a belt let alone a molded pancake holster. Looks good. One tip I would give to help with the stitching is to lay a stitching groove and pull your stitches tight as you go along. Then come back and tap the stitches flat with a cobblers hammer or mallet. Good luck. 

Did you happen to stitch it when it was wet? That puckering is more than I would have expected. For a first wet-forming, that's not bad!

For a first attempt I’d say you did good. The forming looks good, yes I’d trim excess off the barrel. Personally I like 1/8 to 1/4 inch which I roll over the barrel end into the opening, this gives a finished off look to me.

Thanks all for looking and for the tips...I really appreciate it.

Alpha2 - it was completely dry when I stitched it up...over two days...I was confused by the puckering, never had that happen before...

Mike, . . . your extra leather in front of the business end of the barrel is a bit much, . . . 

BUT, . . . I am very careful about that.

I always take enough off that it opens up the bottom of the holster so trash falls out, . . . you don't want anything obstructing the barrel, . . . but at the same time, I leave enough on there so if the wearer sits down in the dirt, . . . the holster will fend off most if not all that might try to get up in the barrel.

It is a tricky thing to do, . . . and I usually do it on the belt sander, . . . taking off just a little at a time.

But, . . . that's the way I do it, . . . and it's not every one's cup of tea.

May God bless,

Dwight

I was watching a video from another maker who mentioned something about Glocks: When you get done molding in the ejection port, pull the gun back out and then push that bit back out with your finger. Glock ejection ports are deep, and if you leave them fully molded in like that, the gun can hang up on it and makes for a difficult draw.

The puckered stitching could also be the leather, if it was belly leather, for instance. That tends to be rather soft. Excess neatsfoot oil will overly soften the leather also. Just some thoughts...

Well...again, thanks all...I'm going to give it another go with this pancake, and I'll be considering all the tips you've given me...one more day to get this one right (if possible...) for Christmas delivery...

Dwight...totally agree with you on the excess leather at the barrel end...

alpha2...hadn't thought of that...I'll keep it in mind...

Keep up the good work and follow what I have always been taught "Perfect practice makes perfect".  A suggestion if I may, make your belt slots a little wider because the user will have to fight sliding it on their EDC belt unless of course their EDC belt is a dress belt.