DV8DUG

Ending a Welt in a Dart

I have searched to find an answer for this to no avail. I need to sew a welt into an odd shaped sort of pattern(see picture). I believe they call this a dart in the sewing community. My question is how to make the welt end so it looks good at the point where the leather makes the "V" at the centerline?

tatt copy.jpg

I don't know exactly. But my thought would be to skive the ends of the welt that terminate at the dart point really thin, to a feather edge. Then you can overlap them and stitch it in place. That's what I would try. But it certainly could not be the only or best way to do it. I hope you get it figured out 

I haven't done it, but I think Stetson hit the nail on the head.

Stetson's answer is correct and a very good one.  If you extend your welt about 1/2" beyond the junction point of the V and then skive down to zero it will completely fill the void when you fold it and glue it up for final finishing.

Paul

Al Stohlman's "The Art of Making Leather Cases Vol. 2" has a pattern with similar welts, it's a bowling ball case. Page 87 is where the stuff specific to the welts starts.

His method is to end the dart with a punched hole, and fill it in with a fat welt.

12 hours ago, TheCyberwolfe said:

Al Stohlman's "The Art of Making Leather Cases Vol. 2" has a pattern with similar welts, it's a bowling ball case. Page 87 is where the stuff specific to the welts starts.

His method is to end the dart with a punched hole, and fill it in with a fat welt.

Ahhh... I only own vol. 1. I tried something similar but tried to sew the welt under the apex of the dart. I like your recommendation better. I'll try that and post pix of the results.