MillieB

Chinks for my husband

These are the chinks I made for my husband. I'm including a pic of the yoke before it was stitched on because the other photos are not very good, and this is my favorite of the tooling patterns I've drawn so far.  Everything is hand-sewn on these. The chap leather looks almost black in one picture because I had just oiled it after scratching the crap out of it while hand-sewing. :wacko:

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

That's a lot of work in there!  and you drew the pattern?  and hand stitched?  Nice!  Do you have a close up of the concho accent so we can see the floral design?

YinTx

@YinTx Thank you! I've been trying to draw more patterns, but it's so hard for me, so I was really pleased with how this one turned out. Yes on the hand sewing! I'm finding that I like to hand sew unless I'm in a rush. And the bonus is that it holds up so much better on gear that is used in the dirt, sweat, brush, etc. Those are 3/4" El Paso blued conchos.

image.jpg

Well done! Very nice!

As a former horseperson, the purple and pink thing in the background of the third and fourth pictures caught my eye. Is that a saddle girth?? :o  (Sorry, am used to girths being just plain ol' white, or made out of leather! (Yeah, I'm old...) Interesting to see how equipment changes over time!

Sheilajeanne, the pink and purple thing is a hay bag.  We were gathering everything into the garage to take my daughter to State Horse Show!  We do have some colored western cinches, though.  Forest Green and Burgundy, they are very pretty!

Ah, okay, hay bag. Should have know it wasn't a cinch, as there would have been a bar at the top to distribute the tension evenly.

But still, the COLOURS!!  B)

Cool!!! I like your "flower centers" . What leather is on chaps?

Martin

5 hours ago, compound said:

Cool!!! I like your "flower centers" . What leather is on chaps?

Martin

Martin, the leather is called "Roughman" in brown.  I wasn't sure about it at first, as the pull-up seemed to be too much, but it was a delight to work with and oiled up nicely after the torture it endured getting sewn.  I need to work on my "flower centers" a bit.  The location is fixed because they function to hold straps on the inside of the chap legs, but I still struggle getting the flower design to work well around the concho, and sometimes just say to hell with it and punch the hole. :unsure:

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Ah, okay, hay bag. Should have know it wasn't a cinch, as there would have been a bar at the top to distribute the tension evenly.

But still, the COLOURS!!  B)

Sheilajeanne, the colors that are available in mohair now are so beautiful!  My daughter is going to get started in cinch making and I can't wait to see what she comes up with!