SheltathaLore

Would it be possible to install a roller foot on this machine?

My gadget itch has been acting up, but I really don't need another machine (buying feet and attachments is a much more sustainable addiction, both in space and money)... so I was wondering if it would be possible to finagle a roller foot onto my existing needle feed machine.

Issues I've run into:

• The thread wiper(?) mechanism is exactly in the way for the swing-up style foot, and I gather it has something to do with auto-trimming behavior (what does a thread wiper actually do?), so I don't want to remove it; I love auto backtack and trim (although not on leather, obviously).  Are different varieties of mounting brackets available for the feet?  I also do have a bitty milling machine that  can at least handle aluminum, so I might be able to rig something up if not. 
  • It's a needle + drop feed, and not a standard brand, so hitting up the googles for a compatible feed dog and plate set has been fruitless.  Think that one for a Juki needle feed would work?  I suppose dremeling out a plain plate wouldn't be the worst thing, although I know I'd need to put a lot of care into making 100% sure that the slot is long enough and well-polished.  (Tangent: as much as I adore this machine, my gadget itch tends to go unsatisfied, because oddball specialty attachments and feet are somewhat harder to come by for needle feed machines. @gottaknow, I seem to recall you saying that you actually prefer needle feed machines for the versatility; do you have a special source for accessories?)
  • Quite certain I'll need to mess with the position of the presser foot.  Thankfully, the manual is surprisingly well-written for a Chinese machine, so that should be doable?

Machine picture:

20111101090049064906.jpg

Machine manual and parts list:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5c0fqvankyotcw/AAANJTPg9KhoKqUt7Df98aTza?dl=0

Pics of my specific machine:

4ZVGgVC.jpg

WER8s4Q.jpg

Edited by SheltathaLore

I should note that I'd only be using this for decorative stitching/applique in light leather, when I need maximum maneuverability; my new and much beloved Consew 227 can handle the thicker stuff for me just fine.

It looks like it will be a really tight fit for a roller foot. Maybe you can get a small roller instead of the large one. If possible, remove the 1 inch roller and install a 3/4" roller in its place. The extra 1/4 inch could make all the difference in the World.

Plan B: You can buy a roller equipped, slotted presser foot for industrial straight stitch machines. I bought one for my Singer 31-15. The slot will let the needle feed the leather and the rollers will be in contact with the feed dog teeth.

6 hours ago, SheltathaLore said:

gottaknow, I seem to recall you saying that you actually prefer needle feed machines for the versatility; do you have a special source for accessories?)

There are different type of needle feed machines feet out there - The Singer 111 type needle feed feet are different - I guess Eric (Gottaknow) meant the 111 type machines / feet. These feet fit on slotted foot bars only.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Singer-111W-and 211G-Needle-Feed-Feet

There is another type of roller foot with a different mount that will probably fit - all you have to do is rotate the needle bar 90 degrees

1 hour ago, Darren Brosowski said:

There is another type of roller foot with a different mount that will probably fit - all you have to do is rotate the needle bar 90 degrees

Will you share the information you have or...  ;)

9 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Don't leave us in suspense!!

It's a pity this appears to have a bunch of automation stuff on it that would require replacing with expensive parts.  ...not that I have space, or spare motor, or all that.  (This is why I try to satisfy my gadget and tool addiction with attachments rather than machines.)

If anyone's in Arizona (or willing to pay shipping), thugh, it's probably a fantastic parts machine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Pfaff-483-Light-Leather-w-roller-foot/132454232056?hash=item1ed6e32ff8:g:BGUAAOSw-K9ZHT7B

Related to my initial question: does anyone have any idea what parts from known brands are likely to be swappable into my current machine (for example, needle plate/feed dogs/etc)?  That's the problem with off-brands; as much as I love my machine, and as happy as I was with the price, searching for parts can be tricky. 

Sorry,  I have to take a picture.

I sell them for $AU20 + postage

10 hours ago, SheltathaLore said:

These are for swing away roller foot mountings. I don`t think they will properly work as they need a bracket that holds the foot in place. I think you cannot tighten the foot screw enough to hold them in place on your machine since you don´t have the bracket on the needle bar. I can post pictures later.

EDIT:

Okay - did not read so you already know you need a bracket ;)

Anyway, I´ll post pictures later.

Edited by Constabulary

Could be any type of Pfaff flat bed, post bed or cylinder arm machine - I once bought it as used spare part because I though it could be useful one day.

Pictures as promised!!

The first type is a foot with rollers rather than a roller foot.

Second type is similar to what Constabulary showed but has a mounting bracket. To use this you need to rotate the presser bar 90 degrees

20180104_130524.jpg

20180104_130531.jpg

20180104_130451.jpg

20180104_130512.jpg

55 minutes ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Second type is similar to what Constabulary showed but has a mounting bracket. To use this you need to rotate the presser bar 90 degrees

Any chance you have a part number or a source?  (Also... is rotating the presser bar a big deal?  It's not something I've ever considered doing before...)

I'm thinking that Darren is "the source" :-)

And would probably be perfectly happy to sell them to you, and any one else interested.

By no means the first time that he has posted things that no one else has, no one else has heard of, or "hands on" advice that is not available elsewhere..

Edited by mikesc

6 hours ago, SheltathaLore said:

I was thinking that Constabulary was selling it.

No - sorry I´ll keep it. ;)

Check with Darren - seems this is a good solution!

Welp, I installed a standard roller foot needle plate and feed dog, and nothing went horribly wrong or collided when I did a few stitches with teh handwheel (although if I ever want to stitch at longer stitch lengths, I'll need to doublecheck again.  Woo needle feeds.)

I have an old foot that I found on the floor when I was cleaning - the base somehow got rusted - so it's an ideal candidate for making a bracket.  I'll give it a try once the roller foot arrives.

I did try the other kind of roller foot on my machine, and it sewed with surprisingly little fuss (size 16 needle, 46 thread), but the visibility and control aren't good enough for what I wanted to do.  It would probably be fine for straight stitching, though.