chiefjason

WWI periscope trench binocular case

If anyone has any info I'd love to hear it.  Considered buying it but not sure what kind of market is out there for something like this.  If not, thought I'd share a cool find. 

It's made by B.A.T. & S.  Seems to be unissued, nearly new condition.  It's missing a few internal parts and the inventory list would be on the inside of the lid.  Some green on the brass hardware.  Spent a long time checking it out.  Really well built old case.  This configuration is apparently the cavalry configuration.  The large flap is for attaching it to a saddle.  

sg35ZFy.jpg

QY2welw.jpg

YEtbgQg.jpg

6VByKQV.jpg

One on eBay with all the goodies inside. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-US-Military-Trench-Binocular-Periscope-1915-A1-B-L-BC-Telescope-Leather-Case-/362186567104

There for sure is a market for these things! If this case cost $50-$80 I would buy it in a heart beat. I think you should be able to get $200 - $250 (rough guess) for it - if not more if someone really is looking for one. This case is really in pristine condition for a 100 years old military leather case!

You may not sell it this month or within 6 months but I´m sure you can sell it but as often you have to be patient. Sell it fast for a lower price or if you are patient you can make more money.

I think this is a optical rangefinder rather than a periscope

The two ends are a fixed distance apart and by using pre set optics you can figure out the range , ones on Battleships had lens about 20-30 feet apart but did the same job

I would tend to agree with Chrisash that its a range finder. With it having an attachment to carry by horse it would be for field artillery

Great find. Do you mind if I ask the listed price. Since I very well may be within in driving distance. 

I noticed after posting that the original posting was 6 months ago; so bear that in mind

'quote' part of the original posting and it'll notify chiefjason that this is active

@fredk Reminds  me to check the dates of the posting. Thank you Sir. 

On 6/6/2018 at 11:20 AM, bullmoosepaddles said:

Great find. Do you mind if I ask the listed price. Since I very well may be within in driving distance. 

@ $50.  As of last week it was still at Hickory Antique Mall on Hwy 70 across from the old Catawba mall.  Old Sky City building IIRC, but that's been a while.  It's still tempting me, but I just don't have room for it.