Buck knife needed a new cover...so a new sheath it now has.......for seemingly simple things sure is a lot that goes into each sheath.  Amazed at how much you learn with each new one.

Happy crafting folks

Ross

image.pngimage.png

Hey Ross - nice job on the sheath.  What weight leather did you use?

Also curious about the step between the hilt and the carved front of the sheath - what is the purpose of this?  

That’s a nice looking stamp design, how did you stamp it?  First column up the middle and stamp to the right and left or did you start on one side and make your way over to the opposite side?  Only critique is that the center arrowhead stamps are cut off a bit just before they reach the retaining strap.

Gary

3 minutes ago, garypl said:

Hey Ross - nice job on the sheath.  What weight leather did you use?

Also curious about the step between the hilt and the carved front of the sheath - what is the purpose of this?  

That’s a nice looking stamp design, how did you stamp it?  First column up the middle and stamp to the right and left or did you start on one side and make your way over to the opposite side?  Only critique is that the center arrowhead stamps are cut off a bit just before they reach the retaining strap.

Gary

Gary,

I have to give credit to Paul Long.  I bought two of his sheath tutorials and that is where I learned the arrow head pattern.  Its actually a basket weave stamp. you basically draw a line up the center and then you angle the basket weave stamp and then the one leg  of the stamp overlaps the other and the other leg hits the line.   Then you run the opposite to make the arrow shape coming back down and reverse it going across.  Not sure that makes sense??  IF you look close you can see it. The arrow head it self is what is left from stamping the basket weave left and right of it.  This might also be why they seem a bit off.  I dont have the technique down perfect just yet.

Weight lets see the back is 6-7 ounce and the front is 8-9 ounce range.   The front came out of the scrap bin I had a hunk large enough.  Hence the different weights.  Normally I would have used the same.   The Step is for a inner lining.  It is deer skin, Hard to tell but its a dark green color.   It got stitched to the outside so you cant see the stitch and then i glued it and flipped it over the back.  Again I have to credit Paul Long and his video for trying that.    Seems to give a nice fit for the knife with the deer skin in it  and adds a bit of flair in my opinion. 

Really cant say enough about Paul Longs videos,  I do not know Paul at all but I know he is on the forum here and I really enjoyed and learned from his videos.  Just my opinion!

Ross

1 minute ago, kiwican said:

Kiwi likes this sheath

Lol....Glad to know.    You will have to make one for your own knife now!

11 minutes ago, Rossr said:

I have to give credit to Paul Long.  I bought two of his sheath tutorials and that is where I learned the arrow head pattern.  Its actually a basket weave stamp. you basically draw a line up the center and then you angle the basket weave stamp and then the one leg  of the stamp overlaps the other and the other leg hits the line.   Then you run the opposite to make the arrow shape coming back down and reverse it going across.  Not sure that makes sense??  IF you look close you can see it. The arrow head it self is what is left from stamping the basket weave left and right of it.  This might also be why they seem a bit off.  I dont have the technique down perfect just yet.

Weight lets see the back is 6-7 ounce and the front is 8-9 ounce range.   The front came out of the scrap bin I had a hunk large enough.  Hence the different weights.  Normally I would have used the same.   The Step is for a inner lining.  It is deer skin, Hard to tell but its a dark green color.   It got stitched to the outside so you cant see the stitch and then i glued it and flipped it over the back.  Again I have to credit Paul Long and his video for trying that.    Seems to give a nice fit for the knife with the deer skin in it  and adds a bit of flair in my opinion. 

Ross, my brain can’t process that stamp design!  I kind of see what you are referring to, but I don’t think I could do it!

That deerskins lining must make for a nice snug fit.  Is it glued to the back side of the front panel?

Again, nice job!

Gary

31 minutes ago, garypl said:

Ross, my brain can’t process that stamp design!  I kind of see what you are referring to, but I don’t think I could do it!

That deerskins lining must make for a nice snug fit.  Is it glued to the back side of the front panel?

Again, nice job!

Gary

yes but first you take the deer skin and lay the good side(skin side ) to the tooled side of the leather.   Then run a stitch across the top .  Then you put on barge or in my case weldwood contact cement to the back side of each and then pull it over the back and glue it in place.  Then trim the excess off and when you put the sheath together  it gets stitched again  around the sides.    There is a bit more to it but thats the gist of it.  Again Paul long I learned it from his videos,  I make a fair amount of knife sheaths so the video was a good investment for me

Ross

PS:  The stamp design seems tough but again I guess watching Paul do it.  made it fairly easy ...hard to describe though

Great job. 

1 minute ago, bikermutt07 said:

Great job. 

Thanks...long way to go yet in my opinion....but little by little

Looks as good as always. How did you do the welt on this one?

That looks really cool @Rossr. I love a black sheath with white stitching. I totally see the green in the deerhide now. Regarding the arrowheads, those are pretty cool too, I think I can see the basketweave direction allowing the arrowheads to come to be.

1 hour ago, CaptQuirk said:

Looks as good as always. How did you do the welt on this one?

I used two pieces of scrap   that came to a point in the center.   cut them out separate of course and then contact cemented them in place.   so one left one right.   If that make sense.  both 1/2 inch width give or take.  Thanks for the compliment as always too!

28 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

That looks really cool @Rossr. I love a black sheath with white stitching. I totally see the green in the deerhide now. Regarding the arrowheads, those are pretty cool too, I think I can see the basketweave direction allowing the arrowheads to come to be.

Thank you Battlemunky.    yea if you look close or blow it up some you can see it.   I thought it was a neat pattern.  Now i just have to try and not keep doing it all the time..i tend to like things and keep doing them :)

Ross