pete

finish for coasters

what is best for coasters to overcome water stains? resolene rtc, neat-lac,,etc,??

Hey Pete,

I made a coaster for my mom-n-law, I finished it with a couple coats of well rubbed in bees wax. It keeps the condensation from a glass of iced beverage from being absorbed.  But she doesn’t use it because the moisture beads up collects in the tooling and then spills when she picks up the coaster. It of course works perfectly for all other beverages that don’t “sweat”.

This probably doesn’t help you, but there you go. 

Richard

1 hour ago, RKCrowe said:

Hey Pete,

I made a coaster for my mom-n-law, I finished it with a couple coats of well rubbed in bees wax. It keeps the condensation from a glass of iced beverage from being absorbed.  But she doesn’t use it because the moisture beads up collects in the tooling and then spills when she picks up the coaster. It of course works perfectly for all other beverages that don’t “sweat”.

This probably doesn’t help you, but there you go. 

Richard

I agree about using coasters that do not absorb moisture from a glass - pick up your iced drink and it drips all over you.  Now I keep my beverage in a Yeti tumbler and it never sweats, so I don’t use a coaster.  Has anyone finished the bottom of a coaster with Resolene or beeswax to keep moisture from soaking through, and left the top surface untreated so it will absorb condensation?  

Gary

What I do is I will use ether beeswax and neatsfoot oil concoction or Aussie leather conditioner on both sides to prevent water from soaking back in th the leather and leaving marks.

I used atom wax and sno seal. Never had any issues with sweat 

57 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I used atom wax and sno seal. Never had any issues with sweat 

But doesn’t the moisture bead up on the sealed leather, causing it to drip off the glass when you pick it up?   That’s why I thought an unsealed top surface would absorb the moisture and prevent drips.

Gary

I have not experienced that at all. I drink a lot of water which I leave the fridge so it's always cold. My coaster gets used everyday. Hot and cold drinks (drunk from my leather wrapped mason jar) no issues at all

10 minutes ago, kiwican said:

I have not experienced that at all. I drink a lot of water which I leave the fridge so it's always cold. My coaster gets used everyday. Hot and cold drinks (drunk from my leather wrapped mason jar) no issues at all

I’ll give it a try!

I always wondered about the "waterproof" pig suede advertised as bag liners being used like this. I've also seen it used as a sandal top sole so it doesn't absorb sweat?

3 hours ago, Dun said:

I always wondered about the "waterproof" pig suede advertised as bag liners being used like this. I've also seen it used as a sandal top sole so it doesn't absorb sweat?

i made a pair of leather sandals, died them and used atom wax, no sweat or water from walking through wet grass soaked into the leather, i wore these so much that the rubber sole (cheap tandy stuff) has actually worn through to the leather. I have had nothing but success with Atom wax and sno seal