Sign in to follow this  
jsiler

Singer 16-188 questions

Today I came in possession of a Singer 16-188 and would like to sew leather and canvas bags, small leather goods such as wallets, etc.   What can you experts provide with regard to thread sizes, feet, etc for this etc.   According to the Serial number it was made about June 1950 and looks pretty good other than very dirty.  everything looks pretty tight etc. 

The problem with this machine is the feet come w/teeth on them ( which can be ground off) but you also need the teeth of the feed dogs to pull the leather,if there worn some they won't mark as bad.It will use up to #138 thread we have the standard double toe foot in stock & one side or the other can be cutoff as needed.We also stock a lot of other parts for this model too.

Hello group,  I am the proud owner of both a 16-188 from 1954 and a 16-88 that is over 100 years old.  We lovingly restored the 16-88 with cold cure japanning.  That machine is awesome for upholstery type work.  We sew multiple layers of material such as canvas and denim but also clear vinyl when we made some of our machine covers.  The 16-188 gets a little neglected because of space issues and it just aint as beautiful as the older machine that runs smooth as can be.  I looked for larger needles on eBay and the largest I could find for this machine was a size 22.  They may have made a larger one (if so please let me know as I'm looking for size 24 and might as well go for 23) but since I cannot find larger than 22 maybe it isn't made anymore.  I believe it would be great for other light work but need a size 24 needle etc...  Mentioning this on this post as a potential limitation of the machine.  Our 45k1 from 1915 on the other hand is not a walking foot but can definitely handle the heavier thread and needles with anything a harness machine might need to sew.  Best regards, MIke

Mike,If your having problems getting needles I'm guessing your using the 16x63? Adjust the machine to use 135x17 & you will have a lot more choices of needle sizes & points available.There's very little difference between them.We also found that the machine will skip less since the 135x17 & 16 have a scarf on them which allows the shuttle to run closer to the needle.

Edited by CowboyBob

Hi Bob,  I'm not sure how I missed your comment on the 135x17 or maybe I forgot it and read it long ago.  Will both the needle bar need to be adjusted as well as the timing?  That is really good and appreciated advice.  Thanks!  Best regards, Mike