I Just bought one.I have transported it home and will be adding new oil to clean it out before I add the oil that will stay when I operate it.

How long should I run that first oil to clean it out? The oil I removed was not clear. I was told it was Synthetic Honda Motorcycle oil... There is/was a little bit of brown staining in the oil tank. 

The oil did not look bad but I am going the traditional route.

Also, Is there anything special about these machines I should know? Any parts that regularly fail?

Common problems? anything like that?

I am extending the clutch actuation? arm to make it less sensitive. (Possibly a servo motor later this spring but not right away

I may want a smaller pulley on the motor. 

I definitely want a larger hand wheel with larger pulley. Not just for speed but for my large hands. I have searched but nothing specific came back and said yeah this is bigger and fits.

Also the serial # is AF677193 can anyone tell when it was made? what year?

Thanks Sled

IMG_20180120_191729 - Edited (1).jpg

IMG_20180120_191716 - Edited.jpg

IMG_20180120_191709 - Edited.jpg

Edited by Sledzep01
added

Also there is a missing cap (Not this one on top, but looks like it) missing on the front.

Can someone tell me the name so I can try to order it? there are plenty of parts lists out there but none with pics pointing to the parts for us dummies

Sled

I have a few of these I'm parting out if you show a pic of what you need I'll let you know if I have it.

1 hour ago, Sledzep01 said:

Also there is a missing cap (Not this one on top, but looks like it) missing on the front.

Can someone tell me the name so I can try to order it? there are plenty of parts lists out there but none with pics pointing to the parts for us dummies

Sled

You are going to need fresh oil and maybe a new gasket. Since CowboyBob is going to look for spare parts for you, consider ordering a gallon of the proper sewing machine oil from him. He also has needles and thread for your machine. I've been buying sewing machines, supplies and motors from Toledo Industrial since 2011.

Your serial number comes up as made in 1940.

1 minute ago, Wizcrafts said:

You are going to need fresh oil and maybe a new gasket. Since CowboyBob is going to look for spare parts for you, consider ordering a gallon of the proper sewing machine oil from him. He also has needles and thread for your machine. I've been buying sewing machines, supplies and motors from Toledo Industrial since 2011.

Your serial number comes up as made in 1940.

thank you. I ordered oil. 1940, WOW!

42 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

I have a few of these I'm parting out if you show a pic of what you need I'll let you know if I have it.

The hole in the middle of the front piece here. If it will not shoot oil out I may not need it...

BUT

If you are parting out maybe I can add to that so that the shipping is worth it for me and the trip to the post office for you.

Can we take this offline for that part?  will send you a PM

IMG_20180121_180606 - Edited.jpg

So I have enough cleanout oil I can run this tonight.

any ideas on how long to run this oil through it to clean it out while I wait for my internet oil to arrive??

I plan on doing both these upgrades in the next weeks

Slow Down #1

Slow down 2

Heavy Duty

Sled

So I did slow down # 2 and if, IF, it is fair to judge the pulley size on the motor to the shield protecting it I think I already have a small pulley there.

I put it back together filled it with oil and it is running!!!

Still very touchy, I need to adjust it so that it is harder to press. But I am very happy I have it.

I will need to train my foot. I am also hoping to get a larger pulley (Hand pulley??)

How much oil should be in the window?? when I have it running at medium speed aI get a drikp a second. Is that right??

Or should it be filling that window?