Willie0

111w155 Tension Unit Repair or Replacement

I have been using my 111w155 for quite a few projects and the upper tension seems to be getting looser with time.  I turn down that upper tension with no real result, as the knob keeps slipping.  As you can see from the photo, the split screw bar is bent.  I bought a tension unit replacement and was wondering if this will be something a non-professional could tackle on her own.  111wtension2.jpg.e63a1f26c1fd408bdbdb9fdbda03432e.jpg111wtension1.jpg.0153886e6d36ec51d46d61250910fb0d.jpg

This should be an easy fix.  The threaded tension stud has collapsed, and needs to be opened up.  Just remove the tension thumb nut, tension spring, and insert a screwdriver to open up the stud, then put everything back on the way it came off.  This will allow the threads to grab on the thumb nut and provide you with consistent tension.

TensionStudSplit.jpg.5e66571051e6cd3b0e057c087114a61e.jpg

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

That tension screw post on your machine looks quite bent in that first photo - it must have absorbed a pretty good whack at some point. In case the post does not cooperate with a simple repair, a new tension unit is not expensive and easy to install.

If you decide to replace the tension unit, I'd recommend getting a nice new OEM tension unit made for a Juki LU-562 or something similar. There are many compatible tension units out there. The super cheap Ebay tension units are cheap for a reason in my experience - I have several that I don't even want to install on a machine. Even a very nice OEM tension unit is not expensive. @Gregg From Keystone Sewing can hook you up, I'm sure. 

Luckily, installing a new tension unit is a very easy task on these machines. It may take you longer to find a screwdriver than to actually install the new tension unit.

Here's a video I made just now that shows how to install a new tension unit in under two minutes.

Here's another video I made some time ago that goes into more detail about the check spring adjustment:

Thank you both so much for the help.  The bent post was simple to put reasonably right again. I still need to tighten quite a bit on the upper tension to get the stitches right, but am very glad that they look good again.   I can see the the cheap tension unit from ebay is not something that would be best to use, and will no doubt reference those very helpful videos many times in the future.

2 hours ago, Willie0 said:

Thank you both so much for the help.  The bent post was simple to put reasonably right again. I still need to tighten quite a bit on the upper tension to get the stitches right...

Then back off the bobbin spring tension to reduce the required top tension. Also, make sure you are using the proper needle size for the thread on top and in the bobbin. See this needle and thread chart for a reference.