I did a search and didn't find anything on this machine.  I have someone fairly close to me selling this machine for $600.  She's shown pictures of the machine and of the stitching.  I'm really new to this, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a pricing guide.  Unfortunately getting information out of her seems to be like pulling teeth.  I asked her if she's ever sewn on leather.  No response.  I asked her if it was manual or motorized, no response.  I don't want to buy something that isn't worth the money she's asking.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

ber1.jpg

ber2.jpg

ber3.jpg

ber4.jpg

ber5.jpg

Its truly a textile machine, although very special one. The zig zag abilities it has, or optional cams that enable these “many” designs, rank this machine along with its precision at the top for its use. 

Its not what you need for leather crafting in my opinion, even doing thin leather.  In curiosity is there “accessory Cams” for the machine. They are mounted/fastened on a box on the back side.  Zig zag stitch has its place and a very good stitch in a stretch situation. This particular machine will sew straight and zig zag. In that respect it is or was copied a lot.  The attachments offered with it as cams is criticaly the nice option. 

Good day

Floyd

I'm actually looking at it more for sewing patches onto leather.  While my little machine I have, is quite a workhorse, it doesn't give me any room to turn items easier for better sewing.  I did finally get her to let me know that there IS a motor with it.  But I will also ask her about the "accessory cams".  Thank you for your input.

I know quite a bit about this one.

This was sold by both Bernina and Durkopp, both as a model 217.  A lot of sailmakers like this for light seaming work.  Very high quality, all parts are available now from IMCA Global who is now bringing this back strong. I've been able to get parts from them from time to time.

CLICK HERE for Imca Global's product web page, with lots of links and downloads for this machine.

Bernina 217 Owners book.pdf

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

The seller was very careful in NOT showing important parts in the pictures, I would stay away just because of that. If it does not work out from the get-go, it's likely going to lead to frustration down the road.

Otherwise, it is an obviously motorized industrial machine, zigzag, and textile, like they already pointed above. If you were googling "Bernia", you might not get the results, as the correct name is "Bernina".

Here is a somewhat detailed review: http://www.ashleyandthenoisemakers.com/blog/2015/5/7/bernina-217-review

The price sounds about right.

I think that the -08 is the zig zag width in mm. Machine models came in 4.5, 6, 8 and 12 mm. The cam reader is an option, and if present is mounted on the back of the machine. Sail makers prefer a machine with a cam reader, and use cams for three-point two step and four-point three step zig zag.

If you decide to get the machine, I have an adjustment manual that I could scan and post. I also have a copy of the parts manual that is too large to post but could email.

Thank you all for your input.  I greatly appreciate it.  The seller sent me a photo of the motor.  When I asked her about the cams, I sent her a photo, she said she had never seen anything like that, and honestly I truly wouldn't use many of them.

I'm going to contact her to see if I can go test the machine myself.  I feel that would give me more information on whether or not I'm going to have any problems with it if I were to purchase it.

These are very desirable machines for parachute riggers and sailmakers.  Riggers want them with a cam for doing a double throw, 308 federal, stitch needed in some applications. Sailmakers like them because a different cam allows them to do a triple throw zig zag used in sail making.  The one pictured does NOT have a cam attachment.  The cam on a 217N sticks above the main head casting.  On a 217 the cams are smaller and you can not tell from a head on shot if it has a cam reader.  I have a 217 with a cam reader and a 217N-08 without a cam reader.  As a standard zig zag/straight stitch machine these are similar in quality to Pfaff 238's, which I also have.

$600 is a very good price for a 217N in the condition shown in the photos.  You'll see folks wanting $1200 plus for the same machine in worse condition.  A cam reader and or puller option increases the desirability and price.  They are fairly rare, especially 217N with a cam reader.  217N as pictured are around.

If you need a quality zig zag machine $600 makes this a good buy.  Not great, or a steal but very good.  As to leather it will sew leather as any other drop feed medium weight industrial machine.  It is not designed for it.  It is not free arm. It is not walking foot.  It may not solve your problem.

With Global now making 217N's some parts are available.  Others aren't.  They make the 217N-12.  If you tell them you have a -08, even if the parts are the same for both, they will tell you they don't supply parts for it.  Cam devices and cams are not available from Global.

A parachute rigger that didn't need the cam would snap this up.  For what you want maybe not so much.