TomG

Machine thread size limits

I'm sorry if this has been covered (probably has :lol:) and I just couldn't find it.

What determines the largest thread a particular machine can handle?  I have a Consew 227R-2 and 138 top and bottom is about it. I'd like to be able to sew 207 or 277 but not sure if there is a trick or a mod that will allow it.

Thanks

On most machines I think the entire machine is built to use a certain range. Go over that range and you won't have physical clearance for the thread to travel around the bobbin and catch the hook. You may not be able to use a needle larger enough to suit a larger thread size without fraying the thread. Then consider the internal moving parts are built to handle the intended thickness of material and thread. If your 227R is like my 229R there is a little button that will release, kind of like a mechanical circuit breaker, and it will stop your machine from turning if you attempt to sew something to heavy.

I'm sure others will come along that can give you better answers but bottom line is you can't make one machine do it all.

1 hour ago, TomG said:

I'm sorry if this has been covered (probably has :lol:) and I just couldn't find it.

What determines the largest thread a particular machine can handle?  I have a Consew 227R-2 and 138 top and bottom is about it. I'd like to be able to sew 207 or 277 but not sure if there is a trick or a mod that will allow it.

Thanks

There are machines that are built to do light, medium, heavy and extra heavy sewing. Each step up is accompanied by more beefed up take-up parts, springs, tensioners and shuttles. However it is configured, the shuttle must have sufficient clearance between the hook and needle and any other obstructions to clear the largest thread it is expected to sew with. There has to be clearance over and under the bobbin case to allow the top thread to go around it without binding. The heavier duty machines may use two screws to hold the needle bar in place.

When all is said and done, your machine is NOT built to clear #207 or heavier thread. There are no tricks I know of or would recommend. The stresses of #207+ thread on the take-up and drive mechanisms are too much for a medium duty sewing machine. If you really need to use #207 and #277 thread, consider a heavy duty machine like the Cowboy CB3200, or an extra heavy duty  441 clone, like the Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4, or Techsew 5100.

Tom In addition to what the others here have mentioned I would say thread clearances, everywhere they travel.  I found it handy to consider additional bobbin cases for other threads. Just for the non re-adjustment feature, from one size to another or in my particular case type of thread. But to get back on topic the feed dog has a needle hole and below the slot on the top load machine and typically would run to small for big threads and understandable. Another is the bobbin case or basket thread spring area. I have often wondered about this particularly but again as said the machine would take a good deal more stress punching the big needles.  Even in the thinner weights it could need some adjustments and spring changes that would be tough jumping back and forth to on original designed thread choices. Heck sometimes a pain with the thread range as designed.

One might look into some of these parts as they really imho would require modified changes. This I'm always interested in knowing.

good day

Floyd

Thanks all.  I expected as much.  And Wiz, I know you are one of the sewing Gurus, so I was hoping that you'd chime in :yeah:
I'm very happy with the 227 and I don;t have a whole lot of call for the 207 and up sizes, but it would be nice to do it once in a while.  I had a job recently restitching some leather furniture, and it used 386, I think, and I had to hand stitch everything.  Took about 20 hours.  LOTS of stitching...

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Later

TomG;

Did you know that there is a type of heavy duty sewing machine that can handle up to #346 thread, sewing up to 7/16 inch of leather, that sells for about one thousand dollars, assembled on a table? This type of machine could handle those extra heavy thread jobs at a reasonable cost. The main thing to be aware of is that it is a bottom feeder only.

I asked this recently, as I was wondering about the limitations of my little Singer 95K43, whose thread capabilities were more limited than the domestic machine that I keep around for zig-zag purposes.  I ended up adding some clearance to the slot in the rotary hook through which the needle and thread pass.  I would have also opened up the needle hole in the throat plate, but it was already a "heavy duty" part with a bigger hole.  Anyhow, the machine now sews comfortably with tex 120 (cotton/poly) thread (69 was about the limit initially), and I imagine I could squeeze a hair more out of it...

The little Singer is a horizontal axis machine, whereas yours is a vertical axis...  I haven't yet tried to add clearance to one of my vertical axis machines, but I have a pretty good idea as to where I would start...

Of course, these modifications won't increase the feed/punching/materials handling capabilities of a machine, but might be useful if all you want to do is run heavier thread... assuming the parts you modify are readily available and relatively inexpensive...

The smaller machines like the Consew 227R,Singer 95,96,241 & etc have rotary hooks that were designed for higher speeds & thinner materials were the smaller thread is used.Machine that use the larger thread are slower running & the barrel shuttles  have larger clearances that allow the larger thread to be used.Also  the smaller machines can't use thick thread it takes a lot of adjusting the get a big machine to use thin thread.

agree with all above, the 227r will run up to about 138.... depends a bit on the thread.... you will see 138 on the left of the chart, that is your upper limit.

thread-sizes.png