superpacker

Heating Edge Creaser

I’ve seen in videos where leather craftsman will use flame to head edge creasing tools. What is the reason for this? Also, will it work for any metal edge creaser?

On chrome tan you need some heat to leave a good impression. You don't need a lot of hear so I don't know why not. You can even heat with a heat gun. The spirit lamps are old school traditional method IMHO

When heated the crease lasts longer but if too hot it will burn the leather. An initial crease can act as a guide to stitchmarking and if repeated after stitching when finishing it will improve the finished look. The only time I may not heat the crease is if the leather is wet but 99% of the time it is heated. I normally use a camping gas hob but have been known to use a large blowtorch which got a little interesting.

How hot do you need to get it? I have a small canister backpacking stove with great amount of adjustment - from little flame to blow torch (MSR micro rocket) I’m presuming that will work?

If you spit on a finger and touch it to the creaser if it sizzles it is probably too hot but I also test on a small piece of leather, the same as the work being creased, as different leathers tolerate different temperatures of crease. If it burns the test it is too hot allow to cool which doesn't take long or even dip into water to cool it off before creasing the work piece. Mostly you learn what works for you and the leather you use. 99% of my work is using English bridle or harness leather which would react very differently to natural unstained veg tan.

I use a hot creaser ... heat it with a torch until it is really hot - normally over-heated.  I test the heat by repeatedly pressing the creaser on a piece of scrap.  As soon as it stops burning the leather, I start using it. 

I use the cheap DIY method of a spirit lamp. Total cost to make, about a $1 - Empty glass baby food jar with lid, denatured alcohol, and a wick from the Craft store that costs $1.00

Drill a hole in the top of the lid, pour alcohol in the jar, stick the wick through the hole in the lid, close the lid tightly, then light. Hold your creaser over the flame and test on scrap leather to make sure it is heated enough.

Karina

I use an El cheapo electric hot plate. Think I bought it at Target 10 years ago for $15 or so. I have the heat adjusted to where it works best and when I need to crease I just sit the creaser so the tip lays on the hotplate and I just leave it there till needed. Keeps the tip at a steady temp.

Some good ideas here!