Mokerson

VB Tools worth their price?

On 2/1/2019 at 4:35 AM, hwinbermuda said:

I have very old steel, that holds an edge soooo well, and these are the names people drool over, VB, Joseph Dixon, and their US counterparts.

This.  I have just finished restoring a very old VB head knife, and it took me over 5 hours on a diamond plate and a finishing stone to get an edge on it.  The hardest steel I think I have ever sharpened.  And cuts like nothing else I have.  Did a bunch of cutting and skiving with it just to try it out, and have yet to even strop it.  Just fantastic.  Very thin blade too, perfectly tapered from the center to the edge, and very light.  I wouldn't recommend a newer blade over it.

YinTx

On 2/13/2018 at 9:33 PM, Webicons said:

They both can be found and contacted through Instagram:

Feng Tools

https://www.instagram.com/feng_tools

Nash Anonymous 

https://www.instagram.com/nash_anonymous

Note:

Feng offers two different types of steel for his edgers XW42 and M390.  The upcharge for the M390 is worth it.  I use it several times a week for six months and only recently needed to sharpen them (and edgers are a PITA to sharpen).

Nash offers fully customizable awls and knives.  I ordered a special awl with a longer stickout.  No issues and charged the same price.  They are laser sharp.  Goes through 10oz veg tan like butter.

I have a round knife from nash_anonymous. Amazingly sturdy blade. They also have varying grades of steel and types of handles. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:11 AM, chrisash said:

Some people talk about old knifes  as a wonder tool, made by someone 20-50 maybe 100 years ago and holds its edge like no new tool ever can, but fail to see the improvements in steel every year to provide the sharpest long holding its edge modern steels

The pictures above may well have been taken 50 years ago rather than this year, no sign of modern machinery that give that little bit extra in accuracy and repeatability that the new companies use

I think to many companies live on their old reputations or a nice bit of fancy handle colouring or shape and charge silly money, the old ways are not always the best ways

There is truth in what you say here.  I can think of many examples.   However, the steel is not the only factor.  Heat treating is probably just as important as the alloy.  Why would an old tool made of 'inferior' steel be better than a modern tool made of 'superior' steel?  An experienced craftsman with decades of experience can often harden and temper 'inferior' steel by eye to a better quality than a 20-something newby can treat modern steel by punching the buttons on the automatic forge oven that he was told to punch just yesterday.

That's one of the reasons why old, even antique, high quality, hand made tools are so highly prized.