KeithL

Pricking Chisel

Any recommendations about which pricking chisel(s) to buy? I primarily sew holsters and heavy leather. Six to eight stitches per inch is a what I am looking for.

Thank you,  Keith

To help narrow the field:

What is your budget?

What type of thread do you use?

Flat or Diamond holes?

I am looking for diamond holes. I use waxed cotton (linen actually I think). Budget, well I'm looking for for good bang for my buck. I've seen them all the way from $15 to $100. I doubt the $15 ones are good, but some China stuff is getting better.

There are quite a number of diamond chisels available now.  As you noted, the prices range from <20 to >100 .

($15-30) There really isn’t anything wrong with the cheaper ones though; they just need some prep time and they’ll work just fine.  If you’re willing to put a little elbow grease into it, it’s definitely with the trouble.

($75-100) When it comes to diamond chisels, I always recommend CrimsonHide though.  They are a small outfit in Hong Kong and the quality and design of their chisels are outstanding.  

($100-200) KSBlades from S.Korea also offers diamond chisels now.  I currently use their flat blade chisels but if the diamond chisels are anything like them then I’m sure that they’re incredible. 

If I had it to do all over again, I would get the crimson hide version.

The cheap chisels are fine. I have a full set of them. I have a 4mm set I have had for years now. When I get frustrated with  expensive pricking irons I revert back to that trusted 4mm set.

I like my Wuta 3.85mm but they don't make them any larger.

The crimson hide versions can be had in 3.85, 4, and 5mm. They have smaller sizes as well.

I make sheaths from 3 to 3,5mm veg tan and 3 or 4mm stitch spacing, which is about 6 to 8 spi; and linen thread. So that's about the same as your use

I use - Tandy Craftool, the ones with the round handles & black finish, about $18; and Tandy Craftool Pro, the ones with a flat handle & steel finish, about $ 30. Mainly because they're easily available. I haven't tried any other makes, but I'm happy enough with these

But I've polished the prongs with small files or wands I made by glueing 400 grit wet & dry paper to flat lollipop sticks

If you want to see what is available, check out Nigel Armitage's videos on YouTube, great resource.

On 2/25/2018 at 0:19 AM, Brianm77 said:

Are you talking about pricking irons or chisels that you drive all the way through your project?

I actually thought they were different names for the same thing. Do pricking irons have diamond shaped points as well? Now I'm wondering if there is an advantage to using one over the other.

Pricking irons are used to mark the stitching. Light tap. Then you use a awl to make each hole as you sew. Chislels you drive all the way through and don't use an ask to stitch. 

I use stitching chisels.  I started off with Aisker (not sure if I spelled it right) I got off amazon.  I have been pretty happy with them. They were $15-$20 a set.  I now have since bought some  craft-sha and siawa brands from GoodsJapan.  They are nice, and quit a bit more (about $15 to $28 each).  But I still use the first ones I got from Amazon.   They are well worth what I spent on them.