dirkba

Bota wine bag

Hi,

Any one tried making these wine bags...or rather restore it?

I can't seem to find any suppliers for the thick poly linings used in more recent bags.

If you have other bright ideas to wine proof the inside, without giving the wine an after taste let me know!

bota wine bag.jpg

I would like to say Tandy had a kit for those???

Sorry, I've never done one.

Just thinking, what about recycling a bag from one of those boxes of wine (‘cask wine’) with the spigot? I’m guessing you might be able to reshape the bag using heat to weld the seams. 

7355BC3A-A393-4C0F-9799-60010006C2F3.png

BE80F8FF-F702-4DB9-A8F2-44C0D4CDE72C.jpeg

Or could maybe use a camelback water reservoir?

2 hours ago, motocouture said:

recycling a bag from one of those boxes of wine (‘cask wine’) with the spigot? I’m guessing you might be able to reshape the bag using heat to weld the seams. 

A Camelbak is made for the job. As for "remodelling" a goon bag? That might cause a problem with a split seam down the track.

4 hours ago, motocouture said:

Just thinking, what about recycling a bag from one of those boxes of wine (‘cask wine’) with the spigot? I’m guessing you might be able to reshape the bag using heat to weld the seams. 

Great minds think alike...!!

I've tried this with a 1,5 litre bag, but shaping it to the wine bag and sealing with a home sealer did not work.

So I just stuck it inside the bag...the creases formed by a too big wine box bag held some wine back after use which oxidised and "contaminated" new wine added to the bag. 

So I have to replace the inner or seal the Bota bag.

Maybe just buy a new one and use the old leather for another project...

19 hours ago, dirkba said:

Great minds think alike...!!

I've tried this with a 1,5 litre bag, but shaping it to the wine bag and sealing with a home sealer did not work.

So I just stuck it inside the bag...the creases formed by a too big wine box bag held some wine back after use which oxidised and "contaminated" new wine added to the bag. 

So I have to replace the inner or seal the Bota bag.

Maybe just buy a new one and use the old leather for another project...

Ah well, hopefully you at least got to consume some wine in the process!:cheers:

21 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

A Camelbak is made for the job. As for "remodelling" a goon bag? That might cause a problem with a split seam down the track.

Good point!