ffjdh

Dying leather belts/suspenders, did I dun goof?

I'm working on some leather suspenders, and I'm wondering if I messed up in my process.  When making belts/suspenders do you generally punch your holes before dyeing the leather or after?

I cut out and punched my suspender.  Sanded down the sides and back starting with 150 and ending with 400 grit sand paper.  I wiped down the leather with a little bit of denatured alcohol and let it dry.  I then snaked all my pieces through some Fiebings Pro oil walnut dye thinned 50/50 with denatured alcohol.  I pulled the leather through the dye slowly, leaving the leather in the dye for around 5 seconds.  I let the dye absorb for about 1-2 minute and did a second pull through.  Held the strips over my container of dye to let most of the excess dye drip off, but also wiped down the strips with a paper towel to pull off any excess dye.  The leather looked great, a nice even walnut color.

After laying the leather on its edge for about 10 minutes and then flipping it to the other edge I have noticed many parts of the leather are getting lighter (as expected as the dye drys)  but other parts seem to be getting darker.  Notably around the edges, the tip and around the holes.  These areas have obviously become more saturated with dye and still feel wet.  Do these areas generally dry lighter and blend once oiling with neatsfoot or am I going to end up with splotch uneven dye?  

I've figured out how to get a nice even black and a very dark brown , but I'd really like to get down a nice lighter brown color.  I am feeling a bit frustrated and seriously considering buying drum died leather next time.  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

IMG_3922.JPG

How old is the photo after dying? I'm thinking it will probably even out after a day. 

Edited by bikermutt07

It’s not old at all, that photo was at about an hour.   I’m just a little worried since it seemed to keep getting darker in some areas.  I hope your right about it evening out.  

Is it generally advisable to punch holes after dying to leave an even surface area for the dye to soak in?  

Well, I don't think I have ever dipped anything that had holes. I would think that you would want to wait so it doesn't give the dye an extra entry point. But, it may not turn out as bad as you are thinking. 

If it does, just touch up the lighter areas with a dauber. I know you were shooting for the lighter brown, but that's no reason to scrap it.

After it dries 24 hours take a look at it. Maybe if it's not too bad you can even it out with some neetsfoot oil. That tends to help the pigment distribute throughout the leather a little better.

Edited by bikermutt07

Agreed. Wait 24 hours and see how it is. Naturally the porous edges will absorb more dye but it should even out.  It will be even less noticeable after you hit it up with something to seal it up. 

Dying leather is a waiting game to get it right.  What you save in money and gain in the ability to customize, you pay in time (sometimes a high cost). 

Leatherworking has taught me the importance of patience.  

Oh yes, @Webicons patience is the key.

I've had the something happen, some times it will even out, but most of the time it does not.

Here is how I fixed this problem;

1.  Dip dye very quickly,  do not let the leather sit in the dye for more than a second or 2.

2.  Dip dye before you put holes in your project.  This is very important,  because dye will follow the path of least resistance, allowing more dye to saturate the leather where the holes are, just like it did on your edges. 

3.  If all else fails -- dye it black.

Good luck.

It did end up blending a bit, but the finish is still a bit blotchy.  See bellow for pictures after drying and rubbing in a coat of neatsfoot.  Any thoughts on how to blend this a bit better?  Would applying a bit of dry with a sponge brush or dauber be a good idea or am I playing with fire?  

IMG_3925.JPG

image1.jpeg

I like the way it looks!  Kind of an antique look to it.  I would finish it and call it a day!

Gary

You could leave it, or try and blend it. I would try.

Looks pretty good to me (but then, I tend to like a slightly used look on my leather). When I made a pair of suspenders I used vinegaroon, no problems with uneven colouring at the edges!