My daughters god mother is about to have her first baby! The one and only thing she asked for from us is a custom, handmade diaper bag! I have not even made a purse before. I told her I will give it a go. 

So this is where I request any and all help. I have no idea where to start! Is there any patterns for this? 

She did ask for something with shoulder strap and an outside pocket in the design.

It would probably have to be made from soft leather...and could realy have any bag shape with an outside pocket!

https://www.shopwildandfree.co.za/products/kudu-leather-diaper-bag

http://thediymommy.com/sew-a-leather-diaper-bag-and-diaper-clutch/

Edited by dirkba
added diy link

Also do a google search for "diaper bag pattern" and you will find lots of hits.  Mostly fabric, but will give you good ideas and useful patterns.

Tom

15 hours ago, Killerwork said:

My daughters god mother is about to have her first baby! The one and only thing she asked for from us is a custom, handmade diaper bag! I have not even made a purse before. I told her I will give it a go. 

So this is where I request any and all help. I have no idea where to start! Is there any patterns for this? 

She did ask for something with shoulder strap and an outside pocket in the design.

There are just soooo many designs for this sort of bag. But you have two starting points; a shoulder strap and outside pocket.

I'd base it on a tote; but with a flap to go over the top to close it. Multiple pockets round the outside, some with closing flaps and some without; use velcro for keeping the flaps closed. Use upholstery or clothing weight leather