kgg

Purchasing a new sewing machine

I have been lurking this great site for about a year or so and have found the information provided by all to be honest and straight forward. I have made due with mostly used bottom feed Singer machines both vintage domestic (shuttle and bobbin) and industrial as well as a Barracuda walking foot that I table mounted. This site which I thoroughly enjoy caused me to do a re-evaluation of my equipment needs present and near future. Over this period of time there was a lot of reading, watching of youtube videos, some hands on various machines and a lot of considerations. This included researching various models both new and used; walking foot vs compound feed; flat bed vs cylinder machines; cylinder machines with a flat bed table attachment; clones from China / Taiwan; recognized name brands; manufacturer A vs B and of course the dollar cost.

I finally decided that what would serve most of my needs (still would like to have a Singer 29k patcher) would be a new flat bed, compound feed machine to handle multiple layers and reverse with a servo motor for added control. When I looked at the new clones vs a comparable one from Juki there was only between $100 - $300 Canadian saving depending on the manufacturer. I decided to get a new Juki 1541s complete with servo motor as well as a couple of binding attachments and will be picking it up this Wednesday. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in Advance

My gosh! 

Your choices are great, ya just dont give me any room to improve. :)

So still trying ( I'm hard headed ) if there’s room to add anything.  I really think its a benefit to have at least 1 extra bobbin case/holder. These can be had off brand pretty affordable. This can simply benefit other sizes and more specfically types of thread. This importantly addresses tension set for specfic thread, they are sure different with some slick ones. Put  these in a marked container for such thread types. If nothing else an extra for the same thread is great in them times of need. 

Good day

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

Good point. I forgot to add some extra bobbins for the new machine. I usually keep few extra bobbins on a couple of rods. They are not really rods but are pieces of coat-hanger wire about 6 inches long with one end twisted to accept a #8 screw and then screwed to the front right side of the table top for easy reach. 

Thanks

Keith

I looked around a bit a found a part number for some reference. Granted this in original can be up there in price. So your options, I have a few aftermarket that work fine. These both original and aftermarket could be had from any of the dealers that frequently help with questions here on the forum.

Again I simply mention this because some threads as ptfe types like Tenara and Solarfix are a bit different. All this I mean running the same size. As the Poly and Nylons are closer to the same so in short they all have their own fine tuned tension settings. These mentioned along with hi temp threads as Aramid and Nomex can be a bit different as well. So jackin around with re adjusting case tensions could be avoided, or thats the plan.

Juki bobbin case # B1837-241-H00

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

That is an item I never thought to have but having a spare on a Saturday night could be handy so I am going to add it to my list to get from the dealer. So far my list of addition items are:

Thread bonded nylon --- #69, # 92, #138 various colours

Swing away binder, double fold --- 1" and 1 1/2"

Bobbins --- 18

Bobbin Case #B1837-241-H00 --- 1

Keith

I purchased a sewing machine recently, too. I drove down to Ohio, and picked up the CW 8B Seiko Ferg had for sale.

One thing I'm finding out, though, as I enter the world of sewing machines, is you have to be careful not to get addicted.

One person I talked to said they had around 30 machines in their basement. The guy who teaches the leather working course I attended this morning has 13. Oh, and he recently bought a clicker, too!

I'm fortunate that I live in an old two-bedroom house with a basement that leaks sometimes, and very little extra space, which puts a curb on any addictions I might want to develop... :lol:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Hi Sheilajeanne,

I hope you enjoyed the course and you should enjoy the Seiko. Once you get the bug, you will always be hooked and you will figure out a place for that next machine. I love finding and rebuilding the old ceased up Singers, bringing them back to sewing a nice even stitch and then setting them to do one function. My wife thought I was cracked, nuts, gone over the edge (I only had six) but it is just a relatively inexpensive rebuilding hobby (addition) like some people are into rebuilding cars, model trains, hockey or golf. So I can see how easy it could be to collect a few machines. On the production side of the coin if you were producing a particular item that involved a lot of steps or shapes or large variance in thickness it would probably be more cost effective to have multiple types of machines set-up that were better suited to do certain individual tasks.

Come Wednesday and for the next little while I am going to be down to two sewing machines but....

Addicted

Keith

Edited by kgg

Hi Dikman,

I am mostly into it for my two other hobbies (addictions), the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers and shooting. So dog related items, gun cases and heavy thick Sherpa type fabric having a thread count of 800-1200. Also I noticed that you have a Chinese shoe patcher. How do you like it? The reason I ask is I have looked at them and wondered how they would perform as they are fairly inexpensive.

Keith

Another dog person here! My first leather working projects, other than Tandy kits, were some dog leashes and collars!

My dogs are German shepherds, and we train for schutzhund.

Hi Sheilajeanne,

It is so satisfying to be able to make items that fit better and will last longer than a similar store bought item. We are more into the conformation showing, bit of obedience, some rally and limited breeding with the Tollers.

Keith

kgg, I bought the shoepatcher early on, I was  handstitching and didn't know much about anything and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I've never actually sewn anything with it as it wasn't long after that I got the bug about industrial sewing machines!! They're not a bad little machine for what they are and I'm sure I'll use it eventually.

The reason I got into leatherwork was because I needed holsters and gunbelts and so far all the stuff I've made has been gun-related (although I'm itching to have a go at making a leather vest!).

Thanks Dikman,

I appreciate the info. We all seem to try something out of first necessity then enjoyment and then the addiction. A project that looking forward in making next will be to make a leather case for our new 45-70 Marlin 1895.

Keith