f1humlam

Expandable Pockets

I would be curious to hear some ideas on how you would go about making an expandable pocket in full leather.  Like the expanders on the ends of the pocket are leather too.  I tried one time and failed miserably and ended up just making a pocket instead. 

Thanks!

Not sure I understand what you are asking. Do you have a pic?

Are you talking about pockets with gussets? Like this belt bag I made?

You have to take tucks in the front of the pocket to get the flap closure to fit properly.

IMG_2369.JPG

Yes something like that or this

L879nuinsideckbk1.jpg

That is an accordion gusset.  Try google, you might find tutorials, they are out there.  I warn you up front, they are for intermediate to advanced leatherworkers.  Taint easy.

Here are some photos during assembly of a small accordion change purse.  Copied from a pre-WWII German made purse that was falling apart.  Also PDF with pieces and dimensions.  Interior was Coated Polyester to reduce bulk and thickness.  Original was a very soft leather.  These ones were made using some thin pigskin, so don't have quite the same appearance or feel.  And yes they are difficult to work with.  I machine sewed these.  Some of my stitch lines were bad because of trying to get the needle and presser foot into tight spots.  Original one I did, I used a lot of crazy glue.  Later ones I used leather tape to hold everything together for sewing.  Dividers needed stiffening too.

Hope this helps with your project.

Original purse:

P9140013.JPG

P9140014.JPG

P9140015.JPG

Copies:

P6090019.JPG

PC150036.JPG

Pocket Change Purse Rev 1.pdf

Tom

I like the way you constructed that Northmount.  It still takes considerable skill to make it look clean, but it is attainable for most workers.

I'm assuming you used a bone folder to encourage the creases to lay flat?

Thanks for sharing!

19 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I like the way you constructed that Northmount.  It still takes considerable skill to make it look clean, but it is attainable for most workers.

I'm assuming you used a bone folder to encourage the creases to lay flat?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks.  Has gone through several iterations to make it neater and to arrive at the proper sequence to allow machine stitching.  Glued or taped, hammered flat, stitched to keep it flat and to prevent pieces being pulled out or loosened by wear and tear.

Tom