Okay what is the best sequence to use in getting a very even dye using oil dyes?

Should you saddle soap or something before you dye or not?

I did a test piece for the project I am working on and the dye did well but it has a few places where it was streaky and I was wondering how to eliminate those as much as possible

Thanks

Matt

Okay what is the best sequence to use in getting a very even dye using oil dyes?

I did a test piece for the project I am working on and the dye did well but it has a few places where it was streaky and I was wondering how to eliminate those as much as possible

Thanks

Matt

When I dye, the only thing I like to do is clean the surface with rubbing alcohol or deglazer.

When you apply the dye, start in a horizontal direction, second coat go in a vertical direction, then on a third go diagonally. This should eliminate the streaking. The stolman book on coloring leather explains it better.

Just start out with lighter colors. Thin your colors out so the color does not get too dark. For oil dyes, I usually use a 3-1 mix of 1part dye to 3 parts NF oil.

Hi Matt,

Deglaze the surface with Isopropyl Alcohol or Deglazer. Try to use Isopropyl if it does the job as deglazer is quite strong and needs ventilation. Isopropyl has some water in it that opens the pours to receive the dye. Wet if you don't use something with water, not soaking wet. I immerse in pro oil dye thinned with denatured ethyl alcohol by about 1/3 (regular Fiebings leather dye works here also). If I don't have a lot of a dye hanging around I use a sponge wrapped in a lint free rag and rub (slop) the dye on. I keep doing this till the color looks dark enough. For a very even finish, spray the dye, but go with immersion if there are places you may have trouble spraying; immersion almost always works.

But the big thing is to get all the surface oil and hand oils off the leather before dyeing, that is what the alcohol does.

Art

Thanks

Matt

Cool thanks I will do this for sure... I really appreciate all of the help and encouragement that I have gotten and seen on this site...

Cool thanks I will do this for sure... I really appreciate all of the help and encouragement that I have gotten and seen on this site...

Matthew. For larger areas i have used the smaller air brushes. They work great

get one and practice you will never regret it..

" :cowboy: Been there done that."