TomWisc

Finishing a belt

I have just started doing leather working and have learned so much from all of you! I made a few belts and am using Fiebing's Pro Dye on both sides of the belts. My question is since I dye the back of the belt should I put something over the dye on the back side of the belt? I was thinking of Super Sheen or what ever you all use. I don't want the dye to stain clothes. Here is a picture of a couple of belts I recently made.

IMG_18201.jpg

I would absolutely finish the back side of the dyed belt to prevent dye rubbing off.  I normally spray a 50/50 mixture of Resolene and water.

Nice looking belts!

Gary

Really nice looking belts.

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments on my belts. I have both Resolene  & Tan Kote but have not used either yet. I will try both and see how they turn out.

personally, I've had better results with Resolene over Tan Kote. That's just me. 

I guess the other question I should ask is do you all dye the flesh side of your belts? If not, do you apply any type of finish to the flesh side ?

52 minutes ago, TomWisc said:

I guess the other question I should ask is do you all dye the flesh side of your belts? If not, do you apply any type of finish to the flesh side ?

Resolene can be applied with a brush, but using a cheap HF airbrush makes it so much easier to apply evenly.  Resolene is more water resistant than Tan Kote, so if someone is sweating a lot I think Resolene will be more durable.

I normally use a liner on the inside of belts and I may or may not dye the inside liner - all depends on what look you want.  If I am not going to dye the liner, I dye the belt first, then glue the liner on, trim the liner and then stitch it up, followed by final finish.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I will try the resolene. I don't have an airbrush yet but do have a simple sprayer that I think will work. I was thinking about adding a liner but was worried it would be too thick. However, I think it is a good idea to try different techniques to decide what I like best. The liner would give the belt a great professional look. I am not looking to sell what I make, just be nice to make a few special things for my sons and a few friends. A little extra effort usually produces a better end result. Thanks for your suggestions.

Tom

Tom, . . . forget the sprayer for belts, . . . 

Go to Harbor Freight, . . . buy some of their little 1 inch wide bristle brushes, . . . they're about $.50 apiece, . . . mix the resolene 1 to 1 with tap water, . . . brush it on with the little hog hair brush, . . . brush it on in a swirling and back and forth motion, . . . working up a bit of a lather, . . . then brush out the bubbles.

It makes for a really nice finish, . . . not too thick, . . . protects the dye, the wearer, and the leather from sweat.  

I use that process for all my resolene applications.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, that sounds like a technique I could do right now. I look forward to trying the spray idea but brushing is easier for me until I get an airbrush. 

Leather working is new to me and I do not have a bias one way or another regarding what technique is best. I expect everyone gets comfortable with their way of doing things and most likely there are different ways of achieving great results. It is so helpful getting different ideas. Most of what I have learned has been following ideas on this forum and some videos. 

Thanks again to all of you who give great suggestions. 

I think the key is to try all things yourself and make your own decisions. Since everyone is pushing the resolene/water mix for the back I might give that a shot too, but still I'd recommend to try Tan Kote as well and make your own decisions. I use an old dry T-shirt to apply a thin pure/undiluted coat of TK to the back. Look which way the fibers run (rub with your finger over the leather and see which way the fiber lay down and apply evenly. Go over it in one direction after the application. Works every time for me and still looks good on my belt despite wearing it for a year every day now.

I've always used gum tragacanth for the flesh side of my projects because I really like the way it smooths down the fuzzies, but I don't know how waterproof it is. (Most of my projects don't need to be waterproof.) Personally I would not recommend Tan Kote, I've had some bad experiences and been very soured on it. Resolene/water is where my vote goes.

But can anybody weigh in on using gum trag to smooth out the texture of the flesh side, and then resolene on top of that to make it waterproof?

I have used gum tragacanth on the back side of unlined belts and inside of unlined holsters and it works well.  Haven't used Resolene on the back side but have used Tan Kote.  Tom those are good looking belts and I think belts like those for jeans are more comfortable just like you have them without lining the back.  In time they will feel like an old comfortable shirt... nice and soft.  Good work.