First post.

Critique welcome.  This is the second one I've made.  I got a new job and my laptop is bigger so I made another one.  Still needs a shoulder strap and a grab handle, but the majority of it is done.  Definitely learned a few more lessons, as I'm sure I will with each piece.

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Congrats on the new job!  Overall very nice bag.  One thing that sticks out is the proportion of the front pockets.  I'm thinking they could be deeper and maybe a little wider.  Maybe should have flaps on them for security.  Stitching is good but got a little wonky on the retainer tab below the D ring.  I don't quite understand the stitches on the right.  There are places where it looks like you backstitched but in a weird place. ???  Need to be really good there because it is literally front and center.

You might consider a couple horizontal keepers at the top sides of the bag to reign it in a bit.  As it is, the flap doesn't drape so good.  Look at your last pic to see what I mean.  

Cool bag and I'm sure you'll get comments on it!  Hope you take my comments positively.

Nice bag! I would bevel the edges and do some kind of edge finish, doesn't take that much time, and really kicks up the over impression of the work.

If I thought I'd put my iPad in a sleeve, I'd make one! But I know me...

Jeff

Thanks for the input.

Ya I don't personally like finished edges so I don't finish them on bags I make for myself...which is all I do at this point.

I see what you mean about the front pocket size and I agree, now that I see it.  good idea.  Flaps on them? ya I guess.  

Ya the stitching on that front middle piece got harry on me somehow.  Not sure what happened.  I don't think I back stitched , but not sure what happened.  I should probably just redo it since it's a small area.

Yes the flap hangs weirdly to one side for some reason.  Not sure why.  Can you show me a pic of what you mean by horizontal keepers?

Overall thanks for the comments.  I appreciate them.  I might post my first bag to get some impressions on that one as well.

I got this image off of the web.  I don't have a way to easily upload my own photo at the moment.  The "keeper" I'm talking about is standard fare on many messenger bags and mail bags especially.  It can be fixed length or adjustable.  It helps to take the stress off of the top of the bag when it is stuffed.  It also can "pinch" the width of the gussets in so that your flap might hang better.  It was just a thought.

A4_original.png

I liked your first bag and this one sure shows improvement. I think had the flap been a little longer it would drape better. But it may lay down better with use. Great effort and keep having fun.

looks good, I am still learning myself.  One thing, more curves less square.  The very first picture, that strap would look nicer curver end, or english point then just squared off.  It "flows" better.