Tex

Installing a zipper on a case

I know this is probably a dumb question but what the heck. I have made some pistol case or pistol rugs, whatever you want to call them. I am having an extreme problem with putting zippers on the cases. I have tried with & without gussets. Nothing works. I always have bulk at each end of the zipper which looks like crap when I use gussets. And without gussets does not leave enough space from the top flap folding over the bottom flap. You can look at the cheap store bought stuff & they don't seem to have any problems like I am having. I have tried using YKK jacket zippers, closed end zippers & continuous zipper. It makes me say several choice words I best not put on here, lol, cause I have built a few saddles but I can't figure out a zipper, go figure that 1 out. I know there is probably a simple trick to this but apparently I ain't smart enough to figure it out.  In advance any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried using soft flexible lining leather or chap leather around the edge for approximately 1/2"overlay & as a gusset. It is glued & sewn. But the starting & ending end of the zipper comes out way too bulky. Looks sloppy & not good at all. It's lined inside with saddle shearling so it need be sewn over the edge of that too. The ends need to be hidden of course. 

Thanks for any help.

100_5335.thumb.jpg.e0474d1d9de4a26b33659b23002e0c8a.jpg

That is gonna be a doozy to figure out!! I got nothing to contribute on this question, but I am interested to learn what the experts have to say.

I do like the case as you have made it so far.

This case will be for a .22 cal. 12" long revolver. It will fold in the middle where the name is & zip the edges together. 

You really need to show us the zipper installed.  Then we can comment on what you did.  Have you had the opportunity to handle one of the "store bought" ones to see how it was made?  Sometimes you can pick it up in photos, but sometimes you have to have the item in hand.

OK, so I went and looked on the google and found several leather gun rugs to compare to.  Seems very simple to do, but maybe not if you aren't familiar with zippers.  I won't link the photo, as the website is copyrighted,  but look for one made by Sun Canyon.  It is similar to yours and with a small tweak to your design, you can emulate exactly what they did.  No gusset required.  The padding they used might be a little different from what you are proposing, but you should be able to make yours work in any case.  On the zippers, make sure that there is enough fabric on the zipper to cover the padding.  If not, then you will have to sew a thin strip of leather along both sides to widen it.  To me, the technique they used looks like the best approach and reasonably simple to do.  Take a look and let me know if you agree or are still stumped.  Good luck.

When installing zippers, make sure the centre of each side of the zipper lines up with the centre of the edge it is being stitched to.  So staple or tack or what ever method you use to hold things in place before sewing, starting at the centre and working both directions for both sides.  It helps prevent skewing the zipper and making it hard to zip up as it is fighting with the heavier leather on each side.

Tom

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

When installing zippers, make sure the centre of each side of the zipper lines up with the centre of the edge it is being stitched to.  So staple or tack or what ever method you use to hold things in place before sewing, starting at the centre and working both directions for both sides.  It helps prevent skewing the zipper and making it hard to zip up as it is fighting with the heavier leather on each side.

Tom

Good tip!

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, Tugadude said:

You really need to show us the zipper installed.  Then we can comment on what you did.  Have you had the opportunity to handle one of the "store bought" ones to see how it was made?  Sometimes you can pick it up in photos, but sometimes you have to have the item in hand.

I don't have a picture of 1 with the zipper installed Got every other picture but that. Thanks for the comment I will see if I can find it.

Thanks,

Eddie

Edited by Tex

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, Northmount said:

Tom

It would basically be the same as one of your cases. I don't know if this is a problem or not but I have been turning the zipper in the opposite direction of what yours are. Instead of the zipper facing toward the outer edge of the case, I had it facing inward. Do es that make a difference?.

Thanks,

Eddie

Hey, Did you succeed in placing zip in right way?. I would like to see final pictures if you don't mind. Thanks.

No luck, it always looks like S- -T when I get through with it. It will bulge out on the smaller end & just plain ole looks bad.The ones in the stores have the zipper sticking out past the edge of the case which looks like crap in my opinion. I want the zipper more inside the case & not towards the outside. I am trying to cover the edge with a leather trim piece around the whole case about 1/2" in on the outside (top) & about the same on the inside (bottom). I have took this on & off so much I have sure lost any profit I could have made in labor, let alone the lost materials. I want it to look & be right like it should before I send it out. If I ever get it right I will post a picture of it. Well I guess I won't post a picture as I tried to & it won't let it post. Says picture is too big. Don't know how that can be as the first is a whole lot bigger than the 1 I have now.

Haven't made one o them in a good while, but here's sorta how I do zippers (with a gusset).

Untitled-3.jpg

even doing it this way.

On 12/12/2018 at 4:42 PM, JLSleather said:

Haven't made one o them in a good while, but here's sorta how I do zippers (with a gusset).

Untitled-3.jpg

I have done them that way with a gusset bet when it comes down to the pointed end of the case the gusset bulges out real bad. Works ok until I get there. It's seems to be different for me than square or rectangle for some reason. I am doing 1 now & I finally took the gusset off & just glued & stitched the zipper to the case. I cover the outer 1/2" edge with soft lightweight chap leather. I am still having a problem with the zipper at the pointed end. Just looks bad to me. No one has ever said anything but you know how leather workers are. We are our own worst critiques.

Take  an measure from the top center top the bottom center using a seamstress tape, add 3" an that is the length zipper you will need. Take the zipper an open, run one down one side and the other on the other side. run the ends up the  center.. Now stitch the zipper in place.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, wlg1908 said:

Take  an measure from the top center top the bottom center using a seamstress tape, add 3" an that is the length zipper you will need. Take the zipper an open, run one down one side and the other on the other side. run the ends up the  center.. Now stitch the zipper in place.

You know the best way to learn this is go to u tube an type in how to install single coil nylon zipper tape. You only need to use one side of the zipper