What is the opinion on Springfield Leather's Finish Pro Clear?  It is advertised as similar to the Old Super Sheene, which I adored. 

12 hours ago, unicornwoman said:

What is the opinion on Springfield Leather's Finish Pro Clear?  It is advertised as similar to the Old Super Sheene, which I adored. 

I bought a bit of gear on the weekend, from somebody not doing leatherwork anymore, and in the box was a litre bottle of Super Sheen. I have not tried it out on anything yet, but I am assuming its a final step in the making of a leather product?

Any comments, do's or don'ts that I should be aware? Where I should/should not use it?

14 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I bought a bit of gear on the weekend, from somebody not doing leatherwork anymore, and in the box was a litre bottle of Super Sheen. I have not tried it out on anything yet, but I am assuming its a final step in the making of a leather product?

Any comments, do's or don'ts that I should be aware? Where I should/should not use it?

Some use super sheen as a resist it’s primaral a top coat.

Super Sheen is indeed a topcoat.  As name suggests it is glossy.  It also imparts some water resistance, so that is nice.  As far as "don'ts", I don't know of any.  I guess it probably shouldn't be used on really oily or waxy leather, but you probably won't want to anyway.

Thank you @Mattsbagger and @Tugadude. I have tried a small sample on some scrap, but any insights are also helpful.

Other than this website and asking a couple of friends when I can, I have no easy way of getting good information. The nearest leather store that might have some idea, is at least an hour away, and I am not sure if their agenda is selling me as much as possible or assisting me.

As far as I've found Super Sheen is a better version of Resolene. With Res, diluted, it might take 4 or 5 coats to get a 'shiney' surface, but S/S only takes two and it doesn't seem to need diluting for application

At the moment, I only have brush or dauber to apply any finishes. Any method better than the other? What about dipping if I can get the right size and shape container?

Thank you @fredk for your info.

Edited by Rockoboy

I do dip some items when doing Resolene but for the most part I just use a damp sponge, same for Super Sheene

I have 1/2 of a large bottle of the old Super Sheene.  The last few projects have seemed to take on a Tacky finish.  So, I'm guessing Super Sheene can go bad.  I think  I bought it pre-2010.  Isn't that when Tandy changed formulas? 

I use sheepskin to apply almost all of my finishes.  I am really liking Clear Laq, which is, I think,  the same as the old Neatlaq Tandy used to sell.  I get it from Panhandle Leather.  I also have been using bee Natural-Sheridan resist and finish.  I think it is more like Super Sheen used to be.  I get it from Weaver.  It is expensive and I have a wholesale account.   HTH   Ken