Railrider1920

Carving surface question

Hi folks,

I'm new to the site and new to leather as well. Most of the videos I have seen, people are carving on top of a piece of granite counter top. Is this necessary? Could I use a piece of steel instead? 

Thanks,

Rob

You can use a piece of steel.  Many people do.  The only issue with steel is that if you touch it with your hands it could leave black marks on your leather.  You can clean these with oxalic acid but its easier to avoid than to fix.  Now, I HATE counter tops because they are usually irregular, they are thin and prone to cracking if you ever need to walk something with a bit of force.  I choose a surface plate.  3 inches thick, come in a variety of grades and sizes, and are frankly perfect for leather work.  If you have the strength and space, a grave stone will also work wonderfully, but they're a pain to move around.

I remember moving around gravestones as a kid. Almost spent a night in juvi for it. Don't want to do that again. Just kiddin lol.

What is a surfaceplate? Is that also granite?  Is that what you are using in your videos? Is it basically a thick piece of countertop?

Thanks.

Go to a monument (gravestone) company. Out back they have a pile of stones that are chipped or have the wrong engraving, or some reason they were discarded. Often as not, they'll let you have a piece for free if you tell them what you what the stone for. Take a strong friend if you want a heavy thick piece.

If it is the expense for counter top stuff. Give a counter place a call and ask then about picking up some castoffs 9.80% of the time they will give it to you for free. Keeps them from having to move it 12 times before they throw it out.

Ditto on the countertop places.. It will need to be a place that does the actual cutting of the countertops. The thing to look for are the kitchen sink cutouts, they are usually decent size and plenty thick enough.

Make sure you don't get the bathroom countertop material as it is generally to thin to use. A lot of places will give it to you but even if you have to pay the $20 or $30 it would still be cheaper than buying it somewhere online and having to pay shipping.