HamiltonLeather

New member from Alaska

Hello everyone. I've been checking out this forum for about a month now and finally signed up! My name is David. I live in S.E. Alaska. When I first moved to Alaska I met the local blacksmith here at his booth. I bought a knife from him and decided I wanted to try and make a sheath for it. I failed terribly at my first attempt, not knowing about different kinds of leather, threads and tools needed to successfully do so. I eventually researched about leather work and became obsessed with it ever since. I eventually finished my first real sheath after slowly saving for all the tools and everything needed. I took the sheath down to show the blacksmith. He liked it so much he asked if I would make sheaths for him for the summer tourist season. I gladly accepted and ended up making over 300 knife sheaths for him that summer. That is what got me started and now I'm addicted. My more recent work I do now is custom holsters, knife sheaths, belts, bracelets and wallets, with an occasional odd project for someone around town. I also recently started getting into leather tooling art. I added a picture of my first and second knife sheath I ever made in 2014. My work has drastically improved since then and I hope to continue to learn from other leather craftsman to further progress my skills. I can't wait to show people my projects and check out other peoples work as well. Thanks for having me!

1stsheath.thumb.jpg.79f456478264a4f8632a2169502f0173.jpg2ndsheath.thumb.jpg.933351997c919d9652c85cb7573bb8c2.jpg

Welcome and great start up story and work thanks for posting.

Welcome, I look forward to seeing more of your work and learning from you!

Welcome David,  Those are nice looking sheaths and good to hear about how you got started in leatherworking.  Look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Gary

Thanks for the welcomes you guys! Found a picture of my third sheath I made with a salmon skin inlay for a little Bowie knife the blacksmith made.5b402e5f1ddba_3rdsheath.jpg.043ab0502cf319ba65e0e720866a2a8b.jpg

Great story. Welcome aboard.