LeatherNewbie76

Starting new project. Advice Kickstarter?

Hi, Bobby here

New to leather work only for a few months. I’m not bad but want to get better because I love the craft. I’ve made many things for friends and they seemed to enjoy it.

Recently want to start up a campaign on kick starter to fund a gun holster and fire fighter radio strap project. 

Any my advice on this? What would be the best way to go? Thanks

It probably depends a lot on where you are located and what your local market is like.  From your IP address, it appears you are located in/near Germanton, North Carolina.  Perhaps you could add your location to your profile plus a little more information about you so others can give advice relative to your area.

Tom

I don't know much about kickstarter but what you are talking about is maybe a hundred bucks worth of supplies. Is a kickstarter needed for that? If you are making things for friends then you should have about all you need except maybe some leather and a side can be had for around 150-200 bucks and that is a more than afew straps and holsters both.

Any pics of your work?

Your mileage may vary based on individual circumstances, but I found manageable successful growth by starting out with immediate friends and coworkers covering small costs for a project (price of a leather strip, or a new stamp or two). Something just to offset the cost of the material used and/or tools. As my skills improved and interest in my items spread through local FD/EMS channels my prices increased to reflect demand and skill improvement. If you happen to be a firefighter, which seems likely due to the project you are looking to start on, use your local FD channels as an excellent way to get some projects on the books. The fire service is amazing at "word of mouth" exposure.

Building your order queue over time also helps you acclimate to order demand on a regular basis and not have a few pages of pre-orders to have to tackle right out of the gate. Best of luck either way!  

Thanks for the replys, that was my main concern, Im fully capable of affording the project just wasnt sure on how popular it would be with people and if production would get haulted or elongated!