I am fairly new to antiqueing.  I am using Fiebings Medium Brown Antique Finish.  I am pleased with the results after I apply and wipe off the antique gel.  I have problems when I apply a finish over it.  The first time I used Fiebings Resoline and it smeared the antiquing around and ruined one piece of the project (I had to redo that piece).   I completed that project by spraying the resolene on after antiqueing.  I thought maybe I didn't let the antiqueing dry long enough so this time I let it dry a week - then I applied resoline to a test section and once again the antiqueing smears when applying resolene :(.   Is the solution to always spray the finish coat over the antiqueing?   (I don't really like spraying but if this is the solution ok, I can do it).   Is the problem Resolene?   Would tan kote or RTC smear the antiqueing the same as resolene (the Tan Kote bottle says it can be applied over antiqueing)?   I picked up some RTC this last Friday and haven't tried it yet, but want to try it on a future project.  Anyway is there any finish I can apply directly after antiqueing other than spraying?   I wanted to ask before I test every possible combination myself

Thanks

Check out Don Gonzales on YouTube. He has a good video on antique. I never use the stuff, but spraying will probably always be the best, most even finish. Try and get a few projects ready to spray at the same time. This will save some cleanup/set-up time.

I let antique paste dry overnight, then seal with a couple of coats of Resolene cut 50/50 with distilled water and sprayed on with an airbrush.  Never have problems with smearing.

Gary

Clear lac can be applied directly over antique paste with no waiting time.  Been doing it for over 50 yrs.  If you are not using wool to remove excess, you are not getting it all.

Terry

Thanks for the suggestions.  When I spray there is no problem - sparying seems to be quite popular.   I watched the Don Gonzales  video on antiqueing.  When he goes over with the final coat of Tan Kote it lifts off some of the antiqueing - which he likes.  So if I am going to apply a final coat by applying with a pad or dauber it seems I must be prepared for lifting some of the antiqueing.   If antique is lifting antiqueing - there can be smearing - which was my problem.  So I must be prepared for it and do it smoothly and rub appropriately.    Tan Kote allows for more rubbing to get everything even (Resolene only allows for a couple of swipes)  - so I will either switch to Tan Kote for finish over the antiqueing or go with spraying.   Thanks.   I will check out more of Don Gonzales videos - thanks for the suggestion.   Not all youtube videos are worthwhile - his look good.

1 hour ago, DavidRM said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  When I spray there is no problem - sparying seems to be quite popular.   I watched the Don Gonzales  video on antiqueing.  When he goes over with the final coat of Tan Kote it lifts off some of the antiqueing - which he likes.  So if I am going to apply a final coat by applying with a pad or dauber it seems I must be prepared for lifting some of the antiqueing.   If antique is lifting antiqueing - there can be smearing - which was my problem.  So I must be prepared for it and do it smoothly and rub appropriately.    Tan Kote allows for more rubbing to get everything even (Resolene only allows for a couple of swipes)  - so I will either switch to Tan Kote for finish over the antiqueing or go with spraying.   Thanks.   I will check out more of Don Gonzales videos - thanks for the suggestion.   Not all youtube videos are worthwhile - his look good.

Yeah, I find him very entertaining. And he is so confident when he grabs a hold of a chunk of leather. 

Are you using a gel antique or paste antique?  Two different beasties.  I have had luck using 50/50 Tankote to lift some of the antique and set it, sometimes I'll do two rounds of it to make myself happy with the results.  You can apply resolene on top of the Tan Kote for a final seal, I use Angelus Acrylic finish.

Sometimes I'll not use antique.

YinTx