Kcoll81

What's a good starter sewing machine???

Well, like anything you sometimes get what you pay for, and I'm not sure it matches your current budget... but I've found the Consew 206rb to be a good basic machine.  

It may be a challenge to find a machine capable of sewing medium leather for $375 - depends what you mean by medium leather.  I often look at Craigslist and you may find something pop up, but good deals are usually snapped up quickly.  Check your local sewing machine dealer - I recently visited one here in Atlanta and they had many, many used machines in all price ranges.

Good luck!

Gary

Gary - is that where you got that Consew the other day? Sweet deal! Atlanta is barely a hop/skip/jump for me as well...

Edited by Double Daddy

1 hour ago, garypl said:

It may be a challenge to find a machine capable of sewing medium leather for $375 - depends what you mean by medium leather.  I often look at Craigslist and you may find something pop up, but good deals are usually snapped up quickly.  Check your local sewing machine dealer - I recently visited one here in Atlanta and they had many, many used machines in all price ranges.

Good luck!

Gary

Good advice.  Not all machines are created equal.  Too many sellers on Craig's List will claim a machine will sew through leather when it really wasn't designed for leather at all.  I see a lot of household machines listed as "Industrial! Sews Leather!"

If you're looking at old Singers this may help.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/singer_industrial_model_sewing_machines_and_accessories.html

EDIT:  The only other advice I can give is buy the best you can afford the first time.  Trying to get by cheap and upgrade later can be expensive and frustrating in the long run.

You can at least see if the model you're looking at really was designed for leather.

Edited by rodneywt1180b
afterthoughts

5 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Gary - is that where you got that Consew the other day? Sweet deal! Atlanta is barely a hop/skip/jump for me as well...

Chris, no, I bought the Consew from a business that was moving and had been using a much larger Brother machine.  Didn’t have time to fix the Consew, so I got a deal.

Sewing Machine.com is down near Sweetwater Brewery - right off I85 south of Lenox Mall.  You should ride down there some time - they have a huge assortment of new and used machines, supplies, accessories for sewing.

Gary

Thanks for the info, Gary...another reason for me to get to "Capital City"...maybe find something decent to eat as well. I've looked over their website before...they don't list anything in the Used section...might have too much to show online (as you pointed out above).

1 hour ago, Double Daddy said:

Thanks for the info, Gary...another reason for me to get to "Capital City"...maybe find something decent to eat as well. I've looked over their website before...they don't list anything in the Used section...might have too much to show online (as you pointed out above).

You are right - strange they don’t list used equipment, but they have a ton!  Ask for Mel and he will give you a tour of the place.

Gary

I just bought a chandler dy-337 and I’ve sewn 8 oz leather with it. I’m going to make a few adjustments but it does fine as far as sewing the leather and makes a nice stitch. I bought it for 300 my budget was very minimal. Check Craigslist you might be surprised.