So, just more curious how people start to finish there projects. Working on a set of spur straps.. and I am hand stitching it. Would you make your groove and stitch marks before you dye it? or after? Do you glue the front piece to the lined piece before stamping or after? How do you do your steps when making something?

24 minutes ago, LisaB said:

So, just more curious how people start to finish there projects. Working on a set of spur straps.. and I am hand stitching it. Would you make your groove and stitch marks before you dye it? or after? Do you glue the front piece to the lined piece before stamping or after? How do you do your steps when making something?

The suggestion I would have is to make your grooves and stitch marks, then dye the piece. But before that you want to tool or stamp. When you tool or stamp the piece you might even put clear packing tape on the back of it so your piece doesn't stretch and warp too much. After stamp then dye then glue. 

Some things are flexible in the order, but I ALWAYS tool before adding linings.  ALMOST always dye before assembling, and USUALLY apply final finish at the end. I have stitch groovers, but don't often use them - often opt for a CREASE instead of a groove (the stitch marker will still work).  GENERALLY oil after dye (more often than not).

Everyone has their own order, and often the piece will dictate that order, but JLS has stated it the same as I and many others do it, with a few exceptions.  If you're hand stitching, you might want to add stitch holes before dye, especially if you are using contrasting thread.  Let the piece dry completely, and then stitch.  That way, you wont have to touch up the holes after stitching.

Thank you guys very much, I have it figured, I think lol. So also, another question, when I line up my top of my spurs to the back what I am going to line with it, when it folds they don't line up, so do I glue them flat? I would imagine once they are glued flat then stitch when they are bent around the boot they won't pop apart?