koreric75

Adler 67-372-thoughts on quality and capability

So in my attempt to get an old singer 78-1 sewing again, it turns out the oscillating shaft has a bow to it and is making it impossible to get it to stitch correctly, while visiting with my local sew shop tech he pulled out a consew 206-rb1.  I was interested in it and the price was going to be good, then yesterday when i brought the wife by to pick up the new paperweight (78) he told me he had something else i may be interested in, the adler 67-372.  It appears for the most part to be the same machine function wise, with a few perks over the consew like a drop in bobbin, a safety clutch on the drive, and a presser foot tension adjustment, all things the 206 didn't have, so I decided since the price was going to be the same i'd go with the adler.  It's older and uglier, but hoping it turns out...he should be getting the table from the lady that owned it ( she didn't like the safety clutch feature), tomorrow so i can check it out.

The Adler machines of that vintage and design are very good machines in general. Whether or not this particular subclass suits your needs depends, well, on your needs. The machine is not designed for holsters and heavy belts, but it may be perfect for wallets.

Here's a PDF of the original Adler 67-372 Brochure (Adler 67-372-373 Brochure.pdf) with specifications and other relevant details. The Adler 67-372 is a light/medium duty version designed for needle sizes ranging from 90-120 Nm (Singer size 14-19, indicating a max thread size of T90), and a max stitch length of 4.5mm (about 5.5 SPI) 

Edited by Uwe

IDK if it were me I'd get the Consew,it does have a safety clutch ,adjustable foot pressure & a larger bobbin & you'll be able to get a much wider range of feet for it too@ a much lower price than Adler feet.Also some of the older 67's have a cloth cleated timing belt which is no longer available & requies a belt pulley change when it breaks since they aren't made anymore for around $350.00.Yes,the Adler are built better than a Consew but they both will sew the same thickness & material.

7 hours ago, Uwe said:

The Adler machines of that vintage and design are very good machines in general. Whether or not this particular subclass suits your needs depends, well, on your needs. The machine is not designed for holsters and heavy belts, but it may be perfect for wallets.

Here's a PDF of the original Adler 67-372 Brochure (Adler 67-372-373 Brochure.pdf) with specifications and other relevant details. The Adler 67-372 is a light/medium duty version designed for needle sizes ranging from 90-120 Nm (Singer size 14-19, indicating a max thread size of T90), and a max stitch length of 4.5mm (about 5.5 SPI) 

Thanks @Uwe, I was looking for that info, I have a cb3200 for holsters and belts, but was looking for something beefier than my singer 15-91 for things like wallets and lighter bags, and upholstery.  I also was looking for something that would take a binder attachment or do piping.  From the brochure it sounds like this should work out for us.   The bed plate on this thing is large and looks like this could be outfitted with an additional hook and needle for double needle stitching later down the road...it is a sturdy feeling machine when turning by hand, hoping to get a chance to sew off this afternoon if the table comes in.

5 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

IDK if it were me I'd get the Consew,it does have a safety clutch ,adjustable foot pressure & a larger bobbin & you'll be able to get a much wider range of feet for it too@ a much lower price than Adler feet.Also some of the older 67's have a cloth cleated timing belt which is no longer available & requies a belt pulley change when it breaks since they aren't made anymore for around $350.00.Yes,the Adler are built better than a Consew but they both will sew the same thickness & material.

Thanks @CowboyBob the good news is i got ahold of @bikermutt07 as he has been looking for a machine as well, so he picked up the 206 last night and is just waiting on his table to come in as well...When i looked under the adler as he was explaining the safety clutch mechanism I noticed the belt was a shiny newer black rubber at least on the outside, i'll be sure to ask him about the age and if he had already completed the pulley swap on the machine.  He did advise that the feet are more expensive than the consew, but they are still available.  This one already has smooth bottom feet and the feed dog didn't feel overly sharp like maybe the PO had already set it up for leather.  They both have reverse and the big bobbin, but the adler can be set to reverse with out holding the lever which i like, i like to have both hands free to hold whatever I'm sewing as i'm still new to it...i didn't look at a speed reducer yet, i'll see how it performs with the servo dialed down.

Sounds like a good machine!Pretty much setup to go as-is.

Yeah, @koreric75, I didn't really get to express my real thanks for hooking me up, as I had to run back to work. But I really really appreciated it.

I'm working trying to get the boy's room organized so I can move on to the leather room.

No problem, I stopped in there Monday and he had the table for the adler in, I meant to ask if he knew when your table was going to be in but spaced it

So I know this is an older thread, but just wanted to revisit and say I really do love this little ugly green machine... Lol.  I just recently put a speed reducer in it and that made a huge difference.  The downside is there really aren't any parts that direct fit save for a few welting feet and zipper feet options.  I have managed to get a fixed mount binder to work decent, still fine tuning but wow it really makes a beautiful stitch when dialed in.