blafleur

tubular rivet cap?

Still learning and finding best uses for different rivets. Looking on Buckleguy and Ohio Travel Bag's sites, there are caps listed with tubular rivets.  Near as I can tell it works like the cap on a double cap rivet. Anyone have any experience with these?  Are they are secure as a regularly peened tubular rivet?

Do you have any pics? Otherwise, people might not end up commenting on the same thing you are talking about.

I have never seen these before.

I use them only occasionally, usually only on something where both sides of the rivet will show, and it's unacceptable for the "splash" to be showing.  I find them fiddly to set, even having a cap anvil on my riveters.  Length is even more critical than if just splashing the rivets.  I try to avoid having to use the caps if at all possible; I have found them more likely to fail, and if the cap pops off, there isn't much left holding because there isn't much room in the cap for the rivet to spread (which is usually the reason they fail)

You're welcome.  In addition to the above mentioned reasons for not liking them, the last I checked the caps were available only in plated steel.  I avoid using anything that can rust in my products, since I deal primarily with equine equipment and most equine equipment gets used and stored in a non-climate controlled environment.  In other words, if it CAN rust, it WILL rust, and rust rots leather relatively quickly.  Plated steel doesn't resist the moisture of the atmosphere and horse sweat very long before the plating peels off and the base metal rusts. 

Big Sioux for the win!

Jeff

4 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Big Sioux for the win!

Jeff

Lol, wasn't trying to win anything, just educate:)

So, two birds...one stone!