buzzardbait

Bronco Buster

My latest figure carving. The pattern came from F.O. Baird. The finish is a combination of Fiebings Pro Dye, Eco-Flo water stain, acrylic paint and Eco-Flo antique gel

DSC_0006.JPG

Very nice! You've really captured a sense of movement! What tool did you use for the border? Have never seen a design like that before!

Another question: is that all the one piece of leather? If so, you've really captured an excellent 3-D effect with your carving and border!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Sheilajeanne ,

thanks, It is one piece of leather, 18x13. The border was done with a Barry King Crown Serpentine, and a Craftool # 307 was used between the serpentine stamps to give it the zig zag

Very nice work!!

Yee haa! and yes while the figure carving is excellent I am also very keen on that boarder.

Well done.

I like the whole piece, but I especially like the serpentine border. I find I have limited success with borders when they come to the corner. Sometimes the stamps do not fit the corners just the way I want them to. You have nailed this one

22 hours ago, buzzardbait said:

Sheilajeanne ,

thanks, It is one piece of leather, 18x13. The border was done with a Barry King Crown Serpentine, and a Craftool # 307 was used between the serpentine stamps to give it the zig zag

I searched for that tool, and couldn't find it. Is it a sunburst stamp? The only Craftool stamps that had numbers close to 307 were sunbursts.

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I searched for that tool, and couldn't find it. Is it a sunburst stamp? The only Craftool stamps that had numbers close to 307 were sunbursts.

It is not a sunburst, and it is not in the Craftool index. they are old and hard to find. There is one on E-bay right now the auction ends in 10 hours. The sellers name is Trim6456 and the price is 42.95. he will relist it if it doesen't sell. search vintage leather stamping tools.

Edited by buzzardbait
to add information

4 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I like the whole piece, but I especially like the serpentine border. I find I have limited success with borders when they come to the corner. Sometimes the stamps do not fit the corners just the way I want them to. You have nailed this one

The corners can be tricky. I start my first stamp dead center on the inside border line and stamp out to the corners, I stop just shy of the end of the line then switch and stamp the outside border line in the same manner stopping a few stamps shy of the corner. After I do all 4 sides I come back and stamp into the corners. This makes it easier to adjust and cheat to make it work out.