rodneywt1180b

Another Couple of Cane Handles

I finally finished the other one I had mentioned and covered a Cardigan style handle as well.

I'll start with the cardigan.  I started this handle before I bought the foam so the foam was an afterthought. The handle was already finished with a 1/8" recess intended for just leather and no foam.  I tried splitting the foam down to 1/8" on the band saw with mixed results.  The way I did it was dangerous and scary with my fingers way too close to the blade.  NOT a smart thing to do.  If I try anything like that again I'll do things differently.  For being an afterthought it's not terrible but the foam is a little lumpy in places and I still had trouble getting a decent fit at the edges.  I really need to re-think my process for this style.

5bac3e798f46f_Paddedleathercardigan001.thumb.jpg.c345f8feb2381497fc8b54429860fe09.jpg

5bac3e8169ed4_Paddedleathercardigan002.thumb.jpg.bccebd3a0f829161bd9adf71d01ec940.jpg

Baseball stitched on the bottom but I forgot to take a picture.

Here's the other Fritz I mentioned.  Overall I'm pretty happy with it.  I'm getting my sizes worked out.  This one is normal sized.  I also think I have a pretty decent process for this style now.  I glued the end caps on after they were shaped and finished and the leather was installed. I would have done the same for the collar but had to correct another mistake and couldn't on this one.  Still, it did remove most of the risk of damaging the leather.   Still struggling with the bottom seam.  It's not quite centered and is a little wobbly.  I'm not really happy with the different brand of finish I'm using right now.  I'll switch back to Minwax Tung Oil for the wood when this can is gone.  It seems to dry harder.

5bac407fae88b_2canes9252018001.thumb.jpg.e14bc144b36e0bb7bd8f6c98293276ec.jpg

5bac409bb84be_2canes9252018007.thumb.jpg.d2165bfeff1a4216981182132839503c.jpg

Edited by rodneywt1180b
Hosed up the pictures

Beautiful work Rodney, as usual Sir. I really want one of your canes but luckily I have no need.

These are great.  Been considering commissioning one for my dad...

YinTx

That stitch line has really taken on a professional look. Way to keep at it.

Bikermutt:  I've been learning the hard way that stitching leather is technically easy.  Stitching it neatly is not.  The devil's in the details and my hat is off to those who can do a neat job of it.  I still have a long way to go.

Battlemunky: Thanks, let's hope it's many years before you need one.

YinTx:  Thanks.  Maybe we could work something out?  I like  your work.  I would love to see a cane with some tooled leather on it.  Maybe I do the wood and you do the leather on one?  I think it would mean more to your dad if it had your work on it too. Maybe something along the lines of a smooth handle and you add a tooled leather panel down the shank?  I think there are a lot of possibilities there.

Edited by rodneywt1180b

looks impressive to me. I like how you you got the contours down.

3 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Maybe we could work something out?

I really like your line of thinking.  PM me some dimensions of what would work, and I'll put something together.  

YinTx

Pm being sent.

6 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Pm being sent.

Awesome, thanks!

YinTx

Sweet! A collaboration! This needs it's own thread guys. Document the hell out of it! Pics, narrative, whys and hows.

15 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Sweet! A collaboration! This needs it's own thread guys. Document the hell out of it! Pics, narrative, whys and hows.

Hehe it'll be like watching the lake dry up, you know how fast I am.

YinTx (aka Slow Draw McGraw)

There's also the small matter of it being a gift.  Possibly a surprise.  It'll be a fun project regardless.

For the curious, I have finally put together some bits to mail!

Hopefully tomorrow.  Some Tandy, some Mystery (I think it's Wickett and Craig), some Hermann Oak.  Some plain, some stamped and antiqued, some tooled and dyed and antiqued, and one small bit of oiled and waxed with a skived end, different thicknesses, etc.  Looking forward to seeing what happens when you wet em and wrap em around a handle.  

I think if you just lightly wet the backs to form them, the tooling/stamping should be ok.  Some folks talk about this with gun holsters, to maintain the tooling.  I myself have not done it, so looking forward to seeing if it works well in this application.

YinTx

aka Slow Draw McGraw - told you it would be like watching the lake dry up lol

Edited by YinTx
cuz... slow