Nightshade

Tricks and tips for Cowboy CB3200

Based on your experience what needle/thread(different for top and bottom?) combinations have you gotten the best results with for...

1. Multiple layers of garment leather up to 8-9oz or so total thickness

2. 2 layers of 10/12oz latigo or harness

3. Combinations of garment, 3oz ish, and a range of thicknesses of laisn, from about 7oz up to 12oz

21 hours ago, Nightshade said:

Based on your experience what needle/thread(different for top and bottom?) combinations have you gotten the best results with for...

1. Multiple layers of garment leather up to 8-9oz or so total thickness

2. 2 layers of 10/12oz latigo or harness

3. Combinations of garment, 3oz ish, and a range of thicknesses of laisn, from about 7oz up to 12oz

This is hard to answer...each project has it's own application.  As a general rule, use the guide that comes with the cowboy manual and go from there, for me...

multiple layers of garment leather/bag leather etc...the round point needle with 207 thread works well top and bottom

2 layers of 10/12 oz latigo/harness...I don't have a comparison...unless you count 2 layers of 8/9oz veg tan...in that case i use the diamond point leather needle and since i'm using it for holsters #277 thread top and bottom, maybe #346 top and #277 bottom if you want a fatter looking stitch but no real gain in strength

garment ~3oz --i use my adler as the cowboy can get pretty rough with this, i have done a wallet or two with the slotted needle plate, a #23 needle and 207 thread

no trials yet for ?laisn=lambskin? 

best advice i can give is match the thread size to the application, then match the needle size to the thread and needle type to the material...and ALWAYS unless you've tested it yourself, test test test on a scrap piece similar to your application BEFORE sticking your project on the needle plate.  if you plan to use the roller guide mock up your scrap to do so, i've had stuff slip right under that dang roller and leave an ugly zig zag, or hit a seam with the walking foot that presses the material right or left and do some damage.  It's a learning experience everytime i sit down at the machine, same for the adler or any other machine, but I have learned to approach with caution and the measure twice cut once mentality.

cb3200-recommended needle thread material.jpg

I'm still reading through the manual. And I'm a total novice with machines. Most of what I've done is played around with an old Singer 66 and a White Rotary.

I thought 8/9 might be too thin for holsters. I made a few from 8/9 latigo and the worked great but just seemed light. I didnt use a liner.

I figured with the upholstery leather question id see if I could make bags with this machine until I have a ROI and can get something like a Juki DNU1541S, or similar, specifically for lighter stuff.

Threading, oiling, adjusting (etc) your Cowboy 3200: you tube is a GREAT source for tips.