This is just another tool I've made to help make skiving easier. I have another order for the ring boxes I make and I needed to do a large number of skives on the circular leather parts of the job and this is what I came up with. The end result is I can now do the job about 5 times quicker and a whole lot less painfully.;)

For any of you interested to see more of how these ring boxes are made (if you have not already) you can see that from this earlier post I've done here - I hope to load some videos showing many of the steps involved in making these ring boxes sometime soon.

Nice one Brian, that´s going to speed things up for you for sure. I think i saw someone doing this by hand but with a larger piece of leather, with his fingers. but your circles are pretty small and having two shovels for hands don´t help :lol:.  onya cobber. Thanks for sharing Brian.

Another brilliant KISS solution from Brian! The bent tips of the needle pliers I get, but I'm curious to know what the little plastic discs are/are from? Do they stay attached to the tips of the pliers somehow?

I also like that guide/fence you have -- much better than the narrow tipped ones you typically get. Is it boughten or Brian-made?

Brian, you are one clever guy!  I always enjoy reading about/watching the ingenious methods you use to work leather!

Gary

12 hours ago, jimi said:

Nice one Brian, that´s going to speed things up for you for sure. I think i saw someone doing this by hand but with a larger piece of leather, with his fingers. but your circles are pretty small and having two shovels for hands don´t help :lol:.  onya cobber. Thanks for sharing Brian.

Thanks Jimi ,I did think about making some for attaching to my thumb and fingers initially but a this was the quicker solution and as you say my shovel size hands shore do make it a challenge at times.

12 hours ago, Matt S said:

Another brilliant KISS solution from Brian! The bent tips of the needle pliers I get, but I'm curious to know what the little plastic discs are/are from? Do they stay attached to the tips of the pliers somehow?

I also like that guide/fence you have -- much better than the narrow tipped ones you typically get. Is it boughten or Brian-made?

The plastic discs attach to the bearings tightly and they normally face each other over a bearing to give a track for the belt to roll in.

My printer was designed to have many of the parts replaced or replicated by printing and I will have to dig out the relevant stl file and load here when I find it. I've had a new computer since I bought it and finding my old files takes some doing at times:unsure:       The fence would be easy to make but I pinched it off of my other brand skiver which is a FAV. Some jobs I need the other pointy one but mostly this one gets used.

11 hours ago, garypl said:

Brian, you are one clever guy!  I always enjoy reading about/watching the ingenious methods you use to work leather!

Gary

Glad you like em Gary ...I quite like making them when I can get the time. Rule of thumb is if I can make it in the time that it will save me the next time I should do it now. That is why they are normally a bit rough and from parts laying around. Nowdays when I hack up a pair of pliers she gets me a new pair of cheapies the following week.

In case it is of help the bearing is a B623ZZ axial ball bearing ( normally about 1$ cost) and the outer pla printed piece is for the X as well as Y axis pullys that the bearing sits between 2 pieces normally. This is the stl file if you want to print it - belt-guide.stl

We are all much safer knowing you are using your powers for good rather than evil...clever clever clever....