lostcaggy

Stitching for baby booties or pattern

Hi I'm making some baby booties based on a pattern from this website http://dandylione.com/2014/10/diy-baby-moccasin-booties/ , initially using some chrome tan leather to try the pattern out and then from short fur shearling. I'm quite new to this with very limited sewing experience. I've done a bit of saddle stitch. What stitch would people recommend I use or does anyone have an easier pattern I could use.

Thanks

On those in the link the soles were sewn to the vamp [the bit that goes over the front of the foot] using a whip stitch

Many moons ago when my dottir was small I made her a pair of turn-shoes using upholstery weight leather. I did the quarters and vamp in one piece and sewed them to the sole with a  simple running stitch

I've made shoes similar to this pattern, but put the seam was on the outside.  I didn't want the seam on the inside because it could rub.  I did a saddle stitch.  I would have sewn them with a sewing machine but didn't have one at the time.  After the tops were sewn on to the inner sole, I trimmed them about a skinny 1/4" from the stitching and glued on a thin crape sole.

These shoes are not my work, but it does show how I attached the uppers to the insole.  I didn't sew the crape onto the sole.  I figured Barge was strong enough considering it wouldn't be long before he out grew them.

Villagerbark.jpg

Edited by Aven