Sign in to follow this  
DanishMan

Skiving machine motor

Dear Friends

Recently I bought an old skiving machine. The manufacturer is danish, but all the parts seem to be more or less standard Fortuna stuff.

The skiving machine had a three phase 380 volt, 0.55KW, 3/4 hp, 2800 rpm motor mounted. I replaced it with a single phase 240 volt, 0.55KW, 3/4 hp, 2800 rpm motor.

As the motor is driving the machine directly - and the feed mechanism via a clutch, it takes a lot of torque to get it running. My 240 volt motor does not have enough power to run the skiving machine (at least to start with).

Does anyone have any idea of the compatibility relationship between a single phase and three phase motor?

Best regards

Danish Man

Not all 3/4HP motors are equal, but a 3/4 or even 1/2HP should operate a skiver well.  

The fortuna machine we have at work has a clutch motor and is horrible to use although possibly due to not being set up correctly.The leather seems to zoom through with no control.Recently I boiught a newer machine fitted with a servo motor and the difference is like light and day, I can feed the leather through as slow as I like.

My skiver also has a clutch motor, which looks like it powered Isaac Merrit Singer's first machine. I think it's 1450RPM 1/2Hp, single phase. The clutch pads used to squeal a bit but since sorting that I've had no problems with controlability. (Perhaps that's because mine has the knife set to turn fast and the feed wheel slowly. I wouldn't know, the previous owner did that and it works fine for me so I've not fiddled with that particular setting.) 

@DanishMan from your description it sounds as if the clutch for the feed wheel is separate from the motor, whereas the knife is turning continuously. Is that correct, or do you have a clutch built into the motor?

Dear Friends

Thank you for your advise. 

I think the problem is the starting torque. The engine instantaneously drives the skiving machine, and the clutch only engages the feed wheel. To get started puts a lot of stress on the motor. In general the bell knife moves smoothly, but is still fairly tough to drive.

I got the chance to buy cheap a 1HP motor - I will put that on and see what happens.

I will keep you updated in a week, when I get back from holiday.

Kind regards

DanishMan

3 hours ago, DanishMan said:

I think the problem is the starting torque. The engine instantaneously drives the skiving machine, and the clutch only engages the feed wheel. To get started puts a lot of stress on the motor. In general the bell knife moves smoothly, but is still fairly tough to drive.

I got the chance to buy cheap a 1HP motor - I will put that on and see what happens.

I will keep you updated in a week, when I get back from holiday.

Sounds like an interesting setup, I'd love to see pictures.

Your description of the problem seems a little odd to me, as I can't think that the feed wheel has very much mass to spin up. Does the problem occur when there's no leather in the machine? Another possibility occurs to me is that your clutch has a brake (as many clutch motors do). If so it's possible that the brake is still engaged with the wheel slightly when the pedal is slightly pressed. In this case you'll very likely be able to adjust it without much trouble. Perhaps a video of the fault might help us understand what's going on?

Enjoy your holiday @DanishMan!

Hi Matt.

Good point - I will check it out.

Cheers

Soren