canonitr

Took the plunge...

decided to get the Crimson irons in a 3.25mm (2+5 prong) set! A bit pricey, but it seems the holes the iron produces is exactly what i want...

I watched the review by Nigel, and I like the way he said that if you used these irons, and still can't get good stitching, then it's you and not the iron...

Thats what I say about top tier tools.  The eliminate any excuses!

good thing for me, is that they are not too far off, and i can collect it from them ..  probably a 15 mile bicycle ride to and fro..

yippe! i'll be collect my irons tomorrow morning!

On 10/12/2018 at 1:40 AM, canonitr said:

yippe! i'll be collect my irons tomorrow morning!

Nice and congrats!   I have the 3.0 mm and 4.0 mm, 5 and 2 prong set.  Just got the single prong.  I also watched Nigel’s video and read his notes.  As a Newb, I wanted something that would not frustrate me as I start out.   Yet when I want to finally learn to use the awl, it can do that too.   They appear to be well made, polished and sharp.   Yeah, a little pricey but in this case, I think the end will justify the means.  IMHO.  

William

personally, while the diamonds are good, i find the holes made tend to be a bit big on the top side, if using the wrong thread.. and using european style chisels or pricking irons, necessitated the use of the awl to open up the hole a bit more.. i find the crimsons to make the hole just nice.. wide enough, but not too wide.. 

while i wouldn't say that the crimsons made me better at hand sewing, i know that i like them.. it went in easy, it came out easy .. the holes made were nice and tight, and i didn't need to tap them as many times as i would with the other chisels i have

unlike the other tools I had (which were China made, finishing was a bit rough, and I've been trying to polish them up a bit), this one was a breeze to use

just a card holder i put together after getting the crimsons..

with crimsons.jpeg

i'm intending to get the 4mm next month .. cant decide between a 2+5 or 2+9 set tho.. the current one is a 3.25mm which i am using for small items (card cases, key tags)... the 4mm will be for larger items..

Edited by canonitr

Nice! Crimson you say...

*Walks away in a not at all sneaky way*

LOL! 

I searched it and got Crimson Chin!

Hahahahahaaa!

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

3 hours ago, canonitr said:

personally, while the diamonds are good, i find the holes made tend to be a bit big on the top side, if using the wrong thread.. and using european style chisels or pricking irons, necessitated the use of the awl to open up the hole a bit more.. i find the crimsons to make the hole just nice.. wide enough, but not too wide.. 

while i wouldn't say that the crimsons made me better at hand sewing, i know that i like them.. it went in easy, it came out easy .. the holes made were nice and tight, and i didn't need to tap them as many times as i would with the other chisels i have

unlike the other tools I had (which were China made, finishing was a bit rough, and I've been trying to polish them up a bit), this one was a breeze to use

just a card holder i put together after getting the crimsons..

with crimsons.jpeg

i'm intending to get the 4mm next month .. cant decide between a 2+5 or 2+9 set tho.. the current one is a 3.25mm which i am using for small items (card cases, key tags)... the 4mm will be for larger items..

I have a 2+5 Amy Roke and a 2+8 Wuta. I'll tell you that I wish I had bought the Amy Roke in 2+8 or even 2+12.

Just my RM 0.02

50 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Nice! Crimson you say...

*Walks away in a not at all sneaky way*

LOL! 

I searched it and got Crimson Chin!

Hahahahahaaa!

i dont get that cartoon here.. 

2 minutes ago, niakulah said:

I have a 2+5 Amy Roke and a 2+8 Wuta. I'll tell you that I wish I had bought the Amy Roke in 2+8 or even 2+12.

Just my RM 0.02

i've seen Wuta at europelle.. but never come across any  amy rokes locally ... i got a number of nameless ones from a chinese wholesale site.. they work ok (both the diamond and euro style),  just that they are not polished, so they tend to stick a bit more.. been trying to strop them.. the chinese euro style chisels come in 2 + 5 + 10

was thinking of the 9 prong for 3.25mm .. but decided against it as my use for this size will be on small items mainly .. instead of knocking 3 times, just knock 6 times.. smooth in, smooth out .. so not so headache..bigger items, i think i will definitely want a 9 ( prong)

but the main thing i like about crimson is that it is like multiple awls..the holes made , are like what some of the reviewers call, rice shape.. its not as big as a diamond.. and its not a slit like the euro style i have..

It’s a sub comic in the Cartoon Network series Fairly Oddparents

10 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

It’s a sub comic in the Cartoon Network series Fairly Oddparents

i can't even get to watch 10 mins without one of my 3 kids coming to commandeer the telly..

Yeah, I remember the complete lyrics to a LOT of Wiggles songs and theme songs from cartoons.:lol: My youngest is 14.

You haven’t missed much by missing FOP. A lot of episodes. Middling to fair content. Not really offensive, although all the adults are idiots. That just seems to be SOP for kids shows nowadays. Alienating kids from each other and their families, so they’re easier to manipulate. 

‘Oh, jeeze, was that a soap box? I tripped...

4mm out of stock.. so got the 3.25mm 9 tooth, as well as the single iron to complete the set..

Work in progress.. making a tool holder for the irons .. will need to add a strap to hold the irons down, as well as a strap to hold the top flap down..

7D27B56B-359F-456A-ABAB-F9BA86AA5DAE.jpeg

On 10/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, immiketoo said:

Thats what I say about top tier tools.  The eliminate any excuses!

I better stick with the cheap stuff...

Completed .. something to protect my investment...

5A424482-7E92-4977-A823-FB0693AB1119.jpeg

CDA6D8AB-B4D0-48FD-9978-4972103015C2.jpeg