Nightshade

Sewing Kydex?

Can I sew 1/8 kydex to 8/9oz leather with a Cowboy 3200?

What needle and thread combination?

Yes! Kydex is easy to penetrate. You can use a regular 7x3 round point needle to prevent slicing the bottom strands of the Kydex, should that turn into a problem.

Use #207 thread and a #24 needle.

Note that a diamond point needle will probably work as well on Kydex as a round point.

Wizcrafts

May I ask what thickness Kydex you have sewed on the Cowboy 3200. The Standard sizes are .060, .080, and .125 at least from what I'm aware of in making Holsters. Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, wayner said:

Wizcrafts

May I ask what thickness Kydex you have sewed on the Cowboy 3200. The Standard sizes are .060, .080, and .125 at least from what I'm aware of in making Holsters. Thank you. 

I don't own a CB3200. I have a CB4500. I repair all kinds of leather and non-leather items, including Kydex. I have no idea how thick it was last time. I only recall changing to a non-leather point 7x3 needle. This is the same thing I do when I have to sew webbing tow straps.

I have 3 types of needles for my Cowboy machine: leather S point, triangle/diamond leather point and round point for cloth and webbing.

I can also tell you from experience that a CB4500 can sew through 1/8 inch thick plastic liners used in motorcycle saddle bags. The only major difference between your 3200 and my 4500 is the maximum lift and strength of the presser spring. I have an extra heavy foot pressure spring that's needed when I sew 3/4 inch stacks of veg-tan leather.

Wizcrafts,

In your experience is 1/8 kydex the standard for saddlebags?

Also I stink at forum searches. Do you know a link with info on a Singer 112w140? I wanted to get it cleaned and set up before putting it to upholstery/garment work. No one in my area works on industrial machines. It runs good now but was used to make collegiate swag, webbing belts keyfobs and such.

The plastic used in saddlebags is not Kydex.

You search this forum by pasting or typing the phrase Singer 112w140 into the search box in the upper ad section of each page. Select This Forum to get the best results about industrial sewing machines. If you are using a phone, the search box becomes a magnifying glass icon that is at the very top of the screen, on the right of a dark nav bar, next to the three lines navigation menu icon. Touch the icon to open a search box.

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/112W140.pdf

Something to keep in mind as you’re getting used to the new machine is don’t turn any screws to adjust things until you know for certain what the change will do.  

It’s also ok to only run thread to one needle - just remember to remove the unused bobbin.

Guys use all sorts of ways to clean machines - wd-40, tooth brush, q-tips, and toothpicks can clean out anything that’s gunked up, but follow up with regular machine oil for lubrication.  One drop of oil everywhere two pieces of metal rub.  

The rubber belt shouldn’t be left covered in oil or it reduces the lifespan of the belt.  Alcohol - either rubbing alcohol or painters alcohol is safe on rubber.

Compressed air speeds up a good cleaning.  You’ll notice a lot of brownish stuff coming off everywhere - it’s not rust, but rather old dried oil...in time regular cleaning will get all the old stuff off and don’t feel like it all has to come off right away.

@Wizcrafts, will upholstery class machines sew Kydex? If so, what is the maximum thickness and minimum needle size?

2 hours ago, JJN said:

@Wizcrafts, will upholstery class machines sew Kydex? If so, what is the maximum thickness and minimum needle size?

They should. I would use one size larger needle than the minimum recommended combination on this thread and needle chart.